On The Border

Sniffing into the bristly fur on Uncle Mick's massive neck, I suddenly felt him shifted the direction he was running, bolting up the mountain side instead of heading toward the towns boundary line, he started zig zagging back and forth up the hill.

Confused by what he was trying to do, I clung to his back as I strained to hear if there were any more howls from behind us, yet as expected all I could hear was the rushing of air around me, the whipping of the wind viciously blowing through the trees as the rain poured down on us.

Burying my head farther into Uncle Mick's black fur, feeling how drenched he was becoming for the raging storm swirling around us. I struggled to stifle the sobs ripping through my constricting throat as an unbearable pain seared across my heart, it felt like a red hot poker was stabbed right into my chest and it was being twisted with every step that Mick took.

"STOP... STOP." Screaming into the wind, knowing that he would hear me despite the chaos of the storm whirling all around us. I couldn't take the pain, it was suffocating me, drowning me in this unbearable, horrifying agony.

Snorting he shook his enormous head as he pressed on, picking up even more speed as if that was possible as he dodged, ducked and maneuvered us over and around the trees filling this thick, dark forest.

"PLEASE... PLEASE STOP." Lifting my head to try and yell into his ears. Needing desperately to catch my breath, to try and breathe through this torturous pain ripping across my chest, tearing through my shattering heart.

Only at that same moment Uncle Mick let out a terrifying yelp of pain as his footing faltered, before he was able to regain his balance and pressing forward. Attempting to glance around us, I spotted several pairs of head lights cutting through the darkness directly behind us.

Who or What was that?

Unexpectedly Uncle Mick cried out in agony once again. This time completely losing his equilibrium and falling forward, slamming his gigantic bulking form into the slick, wet forest floor, sending me hurling into the air, only too crash harshly into the cold, hard ground.

"Mia... open your eyes... come on sweetheart." Mick's gruff frantic voice cut through the haze in my brain as I pried my blurry, confused eyes open, to stare up into his strained and agitated face.

"Uncle Mick?" Groaning his name, I felt strong arms holding me against a naked chest peppered with course hair as I was bounced and jolted against the hard wall of muscle, that happened to be carrying me.

"Run Mia... head straight down the hill... they'll catch your scent." Rushing out his instructions as he set me back down on my wobbly, unsure feet.

"What?" shaking my head, confused by what he was saying. What just happened? Where were those lights coming from? Why was he limping as he was running?

"Hunters... lingering on the pack border... you need to warn the Alphas... Go, Now." Hissing as he stopped to lean against a pine tree, gripping his right thigh, cringing with pain. "Warn the pack."

"What about you?" worried for him, refusing to leave my Uncle, unsure of why he couldn't just come with me.

"I've been shot... with a poisoned, silver laced bullet. I'm not going to make it much farther." Gulping, casting anxious eyes behind us, searching the darkness. The storm was still raging on around us, making it difficult for me to see beyond a few feet in front of us. "Go... I'll distract them." pushing me in the direction he insisted on moments ago.

"No!" whimpering in fear, shaking my head as tears stung my eyes.

I couldn't bring myself to leave him here completely defenseless. To leave him completely exposed to these hunters, whoever they were. Especially after what Becca has told me about Hunters hunting down supernatural beings and killing them.