Chapter 2 - First Day

Dressed in a charcoal suit with white shirt and a gray tie, Arnav walked over to NK's room. Even after two knocks and one pounding, not a single sound came from his room. Realizing NK would probably be in a deep slumber, Arnav made his way downstairs. Not wanting to burden his aunt, Arnav was about to leave, when Manorama noticed him walking by.

"Arnav, where are you going this early?" Manorama said, holding a plate of toasted bread.

"Good Morning, aunt. There are some formalities that need to be taken care before work formally begins, so I needed to go early today."

"Well, why don't you have some breakfast before you go? I am almost done setting the table, and your uncle is already seated. Join him, and I will be right there."

Without giving him a chance to reply, Manorama was already on her way, which meant Arnav had no choice but to join them. After breakfast, Manorama reminded Vikas to have one of the drivers get a car ready for Arnav for office.

Before Vikas could make a move, Arnav spoke, "Actually, I have already arranged for my car. I received a call few minutes ago that it was already parked out."

Vikas and Manorama were both taken back a bit. "You should have informed us, and we are here for you. We can have these things done for you."

"I'm sorry, Uncle. But I have enough savings from my job in London to take care of my own expenses."

Understanding Arnav's insistence as the same sense of independence his father has, Vikas accepted his decision.

"If there is anything you need, please don't hesitate though," Manorama said.

Arnav gave a reassuring look to the elderly couple and wished them good day, as he made his leave.

Arnav really was thankful to the Kapoors for everything they were doing for him, but many things have taught him to not let people's caring nature fill his heart, since people change very quickly. Unlocking his new, white Audi R8, Arnav cleared his mind and focused on entering the address into the GPS.

Elsewhere in NYC:

"Get up, Khushi! It's already eight. You're going to be late!" Payal yelled, as she pulled the blanket off Khushi.

"What?! Why didn't you wake me earlier, sis?" Khushi scrambled off the bed and rushed into the bathroom.

Payal chuckled at her antics and picked up the outfit Khushi had laid out last night to wear and gathered her undergarments. Before she could knock on the bathroom door, Khushi opened and smiled sheepishly at her sister. Khushi gave a side hug to her sister and yelled, "GOOD MORNINGGGG."

"Goodness, Khushi! Just go and get ready. Lavanya is already waiting downstairs for you."

"But why is she so early?"

"Mom and Dad wanted to speak to her before you both head out. You know how protective they are!"

Not wanting to say something her sister might not like, Khushi just nodded and closed the bathroom door to get ready.

Lavanya was Payal's best friend and their neighbor since the past ten years. Payal trusted her completely, while Khushi had never been able to. But knowing how Payal felt about her, Khushi had never been able to express her own feelings of how she felt about Lavanya. Lavanya was quite a sweet-talker, which was why everyone became fond of very quickly. But that's really all there was to her. Khushi had seen the times Lavanya would sweet-talk her way out of any troubles and into using others to get what she wanted. Only because of her sister, Khushi behaved politely with Lavanya, even though she was well-aware that Lavanya didn't like her for her straight-forward nature. All Khushi really wanted was to tell her sister of how her naivety could get her to be used in a worse way, but now wasn't the time to do so.

After twenty minutes, Khushi walked down, dressed in a short sleeved knee-length gray and black dress, with black tights. Her hair were tied in a sleek pony-tail, while she wore her favorite pearl studs.

Waving a quick hi to Lavanya in the living room, Khushi rushed into the kitchen to her mother, Garima.

"I'm late, Mom. I'll just have something on the way."

"I already packed you a sandwich. Why can't you ever get up early?" Garima said, as she handed her daughter a plastic bag with her sandwich.

Khushi hugged her mother and kissed her on the cheek. "Because it's me! Thank you for the sandwich. You're the best, maa!"

Garima kissed her daughter's forehead and wished her luck. Khushi went into the dining room to see her father and grandfather eating their breakfast. As she gave them both quick hugs, both wished her for her first day.

"I have already spoken to Lavanya. Also, my friend, Yash, works at IBM as well. If you need any help, you can go straight to him. Okay?"

"Yes, dad! And don't worry, I will be fine on my own!"

Khushi ran out to the porch, where Lavanya was waiting for her, along with Payal.

Lavanya gave a tight smile to Khushi and said, "Khushi, it's also my first day, and you are making me late as well."

"We'll still make it in time. Don't worry, La." Khushi replied as she unlocked her BMW and gestured Lavanya to get in. Payal hugged her little sister and wished her luck.

Khushi and Lavanya reached IBM at 8:55 am, but as they made their way to the elevators to go to the 5th floor, Khushi remembered she forgot her purse on the backseat. Telling Lavanya to go on without her, Khushi went back to the parking lot to grab her purse. As she was about to enter the building, Khushi didn't notice someone walking toward the front door as well. She found herself hitting into a hard surface, while a hand went around her waist to save her from falling.

A deep and husky voice entered her ears, saying "What the?!" But without even sparing a look to the owner of the voice, Khushi ran inside while yelling a "Sorry" to her back. The elevators opened on the cue, as Khushi ran to the elevators and entered before they could close again.