Chapter 13 - One Step More

"You brought this gift for me, right Arnav?"

Arnav looked at Khushi and saw her eyes filled with confusion and something else that he was unable to put a finger on.

"Khushi....I....I mean it was Akash who brought this for you." He finally said looking away from Khushi.

"Oh really? Then look at me in the eye and say it" said Khushi in a firm tone.

Arnav kept his eyes on the road ahead, "I am driving and I am not lying."

"No! You are lying! Don't even try to say otherwise. How can you even do this Arnav? How could you?"

"What the! What have I even done? And what difference does it make to you anyways?"

"Obviously it makes a difference to me! It would make hell lot of a difference when you give me a gift compared to when Akash gives it. And how can you even lie, Arnav?"

"Khushi! Just stop, will you? What difference is there between me and Akash?"

~Silence~

Arnav waited a few minutes and turned to see Khushi facing away from him, looking outside the window, with an expressionless face, her lips casted downward.

He parked the car to the side of the road and turned toward her, while Khushi continued to ignore him.

"Okay. I am sorry. Yes, I did brought that gift for you and yes, I gave it to Akash to give it to you. Happy?"

Khushi still ignored him and looked out the window, her hands formed into tight fists.

"Khushi?"

Arnav held her chin and made her face him.

"Khushi, look at me."

Khushi continued to look downward, so Arnav held her chin firmly and made her look at him.

"Sorry? Please?" said Arnav.

Khushi's eyes got a bit moist as she looked into his eyes filled with honesty and guilt.

"It's fine" replied Khushi in a little voice.

"Well, you have to be. It's your birthday and I want each moment of your day filled with happiness."

Khushi's lips lifted in a slight smile as her eyes once again shined in joy.

"No! I need that the 'Khushi smile,' not this small one." Arnav said while faking annoyance to her.

Khushi chucked looking at his face and said, "You know, you are not good at acting, so don't even try it."

Arnav looked at her and smiled, "Really? So what else do you know about me?"

"Hmmm. Let me think. You have anger issues. You seem to a good elder brother to Akash. You have a great taste in gifts. You know how to make me smile." She answered honestly and innocently, as she tapped her chin and got lost in her world.

"So you liked the gift?"

Khushi turned to look at him and saw a smirk planted on his face.

"Yes, I did. And no need to be so happy. I am still not happy with the way "you" gave it."

"Oh c'mon, Khushi. I just didn't want you to feel awkward."

"But why would I feel awkward? We are friends now, and it's absolutely normal for friends to gift each other occasionally."

Arnav turned to Khushi with a surprised look. "Friends?"

"Yeah... Aren't we?"

"Erm....yeah...okay."