Chapter 15 - Abhay Singh Raizada

The meet-greet with the families was arranged pretty quickly, given how happy Akash's parents were to know that at least one of their sons was finally settling down. However, Akash couldn't give them much information about the Gupta family, not knowing if they would have any issues since the Guptas were well-to-do, but not as wealthy as the Raizada family. There wasn't much help he could seek from Arnav, knowing the difficult relationship Arnav shared with his father, Abhay Singh Raizada. Akash did, however, tell his mother everything, asking her to slowly let the information out to his father, so that he wouldn't have any issues. Heena Raizada had certainly made up her mind to not have her husband interfere with her children's happiness.

While Heena had been the glue keeping the family together, she was well aware of the deep-rooted issues Arnav and Abhay had. She couldn't blame Arnav, when she blamed herself for what she had lost due to her husband's stubbornness. But what she couldn't explain to her sons was that their father did have a soft side too. He just wouldn't show it as expected, but rather through his complicated actions. Everything had already fallen apart once, but she couldn't see her family breaking even more.

~*~

The day finally came when the Raizada parents arrived in NY, and their stay was arranged at Abhay's sister's house, since she wouldn't have the Raizada's stay elsewhere. Akash also had to move in for the wedding preparations coming up, meanwhile Arnav had moved out and gotten an apartment close to his workplace, much to the elders' annoyance.

Arnav didn't accept the invitation to be present at the dinner get-together of the families, while Akash worried about how his father will react. But Heena probably had something on her husband that the dinner went well, both families agreeing on having the wedding in a month's time. Later in the night, Akash joined his parents to thank them for their acceptance.

"Dad, Payal truly will be great for this family and for my life. Thank you for accepting us."

"I hope so too. By the way, you mentioned that her sister is also a friend of Arnav?"

"Yes, Dad. They work together, so they got to know each other well. She is helping brother with the startup for his investment company as well. If everything goes well, Bro is planning on leaving his job in three weeks and spending all of his time managing his company then."

"Yes, of course. But things take time. Is Arnav coming for the engagement ceremony then next week?"

"Yes, Dad. He would always be there for me."

After Akash left, Heena couldn't help but be a little uncomfortable with Abhay's questions, knowing him too well for all the years they spent together.

"Abhay, what are you thinking about Arnav?"

"What can I possibly be thinking but the best for my kids? It's quite late. We should sleep now."

Heena couldn't shake the feeling that her husband was definitely plotting something, while Abhay didn't give anything away.

~*~

As the preparations were finishing up, both the Gupta and the Raizada families met outside the event venue, dressed in their finest. Payal and Khushi had arrived earlier, so that Payal could get ready in the dressing room at the venue, rather than having to go to different places before arriving. While Arnav was the last to arrive among the families, everyone was busy greeting the guests and having refreshments.

Amid all the celebratory chaos, Akash told Arnav that their father is waiting for him in one of the dressing rooms, and he needs to see him urgently. Not wanting to trouble Akash on his engagement, Arnav reluctantly made his way toward the dressing rooms. Not knowing which dressing room his father was in, Arnav knocked and checked on all in his way. One of them turned out to be where Payal and Khushi were.