Chapter 8 - Apologies

Arnav walked towards Khushi with cautious steps, while Khushi kept looking at her feet, tapping her right foot anxiously. Both didn't know how to begin or how to apologize to each other. Khushi finally looked up to find Arnav merely a foot away, staring at her.

"I am..." Both said simultaneously, stopping abruptly hearing the other. Looking anywhere but at each other, Khushi and Arnav once again stood in an undisturbed silence.

Mustering his courage, a whisper left Arnav's lips.

"Sorry."

Khushi's eyes widened a little, as she looked at him in surprise, but he was looking straight ahead at the front door, avoiding her stare.

"What?"

Shooting her an annoyed look, he said, "I already said it once. If you didn't hear it, it's not my mistake!"

"No, I did hear it, but what I meant was why?"

Arnav's eyebrows scrunched together in confusion as he looked at her with a puzzling expression.

Understanding his unasked question, Khushi quickly added, "I mean, I should be apologizing for interfering without any right. I am sorry, Sir. I shouldn't said all that in the first place." Her face clearly showed her regret and guilt, while her eyes were trying not to tear up in front of him.

Arnav stared at the sadness in her eyes and he felt a pain enveloping his heart. He wanted to erase the distress from her face, to the extent of taking off ASR's mask off Arnav, just for her.

"No, Khushi. I shouldn't have shouted at you."

Khushi was confused at first after hearing his words, then relieved to know he wasn't angry anymore, while then she was simply in awe that he had apologized to her.

"No, Sir. It was all my fault. I shouldn't have crossed my limits. I didn't have any right to."

"Stop, Khushi. It was wrong of me to shout at you. You were just being... well, you."

"But, Sir, if I hadn't pushed you to that extent, this wouldn't have happened. I am terribly sorry, Sir. Please forgive me."

"You didn't know. It was my fault as well."

"No, it was my mistake. Definitely not yours, Sir."

"Khushi, it was mine."

"No, Sir, how can you say that? It was all mine!"

"KHUSHI! I am your boss, and if I say it was mine, then it was mine." Arnav gritted, annoyed and frustrated at her.

"No, Sir! You are my boss, and that's why it was all my fault." Khushi said, as stubborn as she was to have her point accepted.

"What the?! I said it was mine!"

Before Khushi could argue back, the guard stepped in the scene and said, "Excuse me?"

"WHAT?" Arnav snapped, turning to look at the guard with anger burning in his eyes.

"N..Nothing, Sir. The b..building is already open. If you two..." The guard left his sentence unfinished and made his way back to his position, cursing himself for meddling in the first place.

While the guard definitely interrupted their argument, Arnav and Khushi realized what they were doing instead of apologizing. Khushi began to fidget in her place, while Arnav looked everywhere but at her. Closing his eyes and turning away from her slightly, Arnav tried to control his temper.

Not wanting him to be angry again, Khushi made the first move.

"I brought this for you." She said, as she moved the box towards him.