Chapter 3 - Enigma

(Fifteen minutes ago)

Arnav signed himself in at the reception, while the receptionist directed him towards the Conference Hall on the 5th floor, where Mr. Mark Guido, the manager, would be waiting.

Mr. Guido was a middle-aged man, bald hair, 5'8 height, fair complexion with a hint of red. After the introductions, Arnav signed the contract agreement after going over all the clauses. Mr. Guido called someone using the desk phone, and shorty after, a man entered the room. In his early-twenties, the man had a professional smile on his face, while a file in his hands.

Mr. Guido smiled at the man and turned to Arnav, "Mr. Raizada, this is Aman Stephens, your assistant. He will be looking after all your on-duty needs."

Arnav looked at Aman and gave him a curt nod, as if to approve him of the position. Aman, on the other hand, took in the strong posture of his new boss, his expressionless face, and his determined eyes. There was surely a big difference between the friendly Guido and his new boss.

"Well, Mr. Stephens, why don't you show the place to Mr. Raizada and introduce him to other staff? Mr. Raizada, I'll meet you here at 9:30, along with the new interns."

Arnav shared a handshake with Mr. Guido as acknowledgement, as Mr. Guido made his way out of the Conference Hall. He turned his attention toward Aman, examining him to determine his persona. Aman, who was comfortable till now in Mr. Guido's presence, gave a timid smile to Arnav, having a feeling that his new boss might not approve of his usual grin.

"Are you going to continue to gawk at me, or do you intend to complete the task assigned by Mr. Guido?"

Arnav's stern and clipped tone sent shivers down Aman's spine, proving his feeling to be true.

"Yes, Sir....Oh, I mean, no Sir....I..." Poor Aman stammered, as he avoided any direct eye-contact with Arnav. Not wanting to be in his presence alone, he gestured Arnav to follow him, "This way, Sir."

Arnav looked at his new assistant, rolled his eyes, but followed him nonetheless.

Returning to his professional mode, Aman showed Arnav his cabin first, then all of the sub-departments of the Marketing and Business Departments, while introducing the main staff present. While heading back to the Finance sub-department, Aman remembered the file he was still holding on to.

"Oh, Sir, this file is for you. It's a copy of the contract agreement and ideas for the next few projects. You are to select two of the ideas by next week, when their projects will formally begin."

Arnav quickly skimmed over the file's contents and looked back at Aman, "Well, where am I supposed to keep it till the end of the day?"

"Erm, it would be better if you kept it in your car, since we probably wouldn't be back in your cabin till the end of the day. You know, just in case, you forgot."

"And you couldn't have told me this when we were in my cabin?"

"Sorry, Sir. I was..."

Arnav cursed under his breath and made his way to the elevators, without sparing a glance to Aman.

As he was making his way back to his car, Arnav was still fuming at his assistant's forgetfulness.

How am I supposed to tolerate him everyday? Unbelievable!

Busy with his thoughts and cursing a specific someone in his mind, Arnav didn't notice someone rushing towards the same front door. A small, slender form clashed into his chest, and his reflexive instincts came into control, as his right hand went around her waist to balance them both. A sweet, lavender scent filled his sense, but before it could do any 'harm', he realized what was going on.