CHAPTER 3: Old Friends

The ride home is quiet, and I spend my time looking out the window in amazement at all the work that has been done here. It's a very short drive. I remember my mom explaining that the Alpha and Luna couldn't live too far from the pack house since proximity is prudent. Still, it's a good 15-minute drive away, mainly due to all the turns. Parts of the territory, especially central areas, have been pedestrianised, so cars have to go around, I'm sure walking would have been quicker.

Charles takes a turn into our driveway and a wave of familiarity hits me. Although it is very apparent that renovations have taken place: grand extensions have been added to the house, a lot of landscaping and general upkeep, but not much is different about the main house. It stands in contrast to the rest of the buildings I've seen. While other buildings look modern with glass walls, this house is made of a red face brick. It looks like a mansion straight out of the Victorian era. The plants that were growing up the walls of the house have carpeted most of the front and look well-groomed and intentional. Growing up they always looked parasitic, but now they suit the aesthetic of the house. The house looks new like how your bedroom looks new after you reorganised all the furniture late at night because you had a sudden urge to be productive without a suitable outlet: different yet familiar.

"Holy shit, is it me or did your parents seriously pimp your house?"

"Language Brianna!" Charles exclaims before I can answer

"Sorry Charlie," Brie apologises while glaring at my smirk.

"Seriously though, I feel like I could have my own wing in this house," I remark as we step out of the car

"You do," Charles says with a smile. He leads us into the house and Brie and I look around it gobsmacked. The outside may look familiar, but the inside is a whole new world.

"Miss Nash, welcome back." A soft voice pulls me out of my trance.

"Rita?" I enquire looking in the direction of the elderly woman descending the staircase with angelic grace.

Rita runs the household for my parents. She was like a grandmother to me growing up. I don't know how old she actually is but based on the stories she told me growing up, she was very, very old. She is a slender tall woman with long grey hair that she always kept tied up in a neat, tight bun. She had rich dark skin that almost looked blue under the right light. She was beautiful both inside and out and was a great help to me as I dealt with everything growing up. I remember for one of the rescue missions, she came to retrieve me personally. I had never seen her wolf until that day and haven't seen it since. The wolf was very powerful and took on the kidnappers easily, while I struggled with each one after I'd managed to free myself. I aspired to be as strong as her and she encouraged my pursuit.

"My dear, look how much you've grown," she remarks, pulling me in for one of her warm hugs that had been a solace to a young me. I practically melt into her embrace.

"I've missed you Rita, you haven't changed one bit," I state as she loosens her embrace. It's true, Rita has been old my whole life, and has never looked older than when I first saw her.

"Rita! How the hell are you!"

"Brianna, I see you're here too," Rita briefly regards my friend and fails to hide her mild irritation.

"I've missed you too," Brianna gives Rita a hug that remains largely unreturned outside of a little pat to the back before an order for Brie to unhand her.

"Anyway, my darling, I hear you have a busy day ahead, so I'll give you a tour of the house when you return. For now, I'll take you to the west wing where you'll find your rooms." Rita says this casually, as she turns around to lead us to where we're supposed to go. Both Briana and I have the same thought as we stare at each other and mouth "West Wing?" with equally puzzled and excited expressions.

We don't spend a lot of time in the West Wing, I don't even have time to explore it, Rita instructs us to change for training and get going. I do notice though that the 'wing' is essentially another house attached to the main one, with its own entrance, garage, kitchen, and multiple bedrooms and bathrooms.

When we finally arrive, training is in full swing. The Training Centre is very different. It's much bigger, with more equipment and a lot more warriors than I'd expected. It's still structured the same, with training classes and rooms indicating ages and skill levels. The way it's organised makes it clear that my mother was very involved in the refurbishments. It looks more like an Olympic Stadium but instead of different sports, its different fighting styles and a lot of fitness and gym equipment.

"So nice of you to finally join us Miss Nash," a firm baritone announces, halting my exploration of the room that Charles has led us into.

Charles smiles at the sound of the voice and walks over to the tall, dark-skinned Adonis that is standing before us.

"Babe be nice, she just flew in," Charles states after placing a quick kiss on the man's lips.

"Timothy," I say, meeting his gaze, not sure what to expect. He liked me when I was here. Although I was heartbroken when I found out that he was Charles' mate, he was just as handsome and so I accepted my defeat and let Charles go (very gracious of me). Even though he did like me, everyone has been a little off since I left, so it does me well to be cautious.

"Miss Nash, my training starts at 9:00am, if you're going to be late, don't bother showing up!" he snaps. He's angry. "That goes for you too Miss Brianna Reid. I don't think your parents, the pack Gammas, would be pleased with your lack of commitment!"

I let out a growl involuntarily. Brianna holds my arm to indicate that she's okay with the jab. Everyone knows her parents, although dedicated to the pack, treated Brie like shit. That was a low blow from Tim.

"Is that a growl Miss Nash? Feeling defensive, are we? I wish you were as dedicated to this pack as you are to your little friend."

Charles shoots his mate a look telling him to relent, he does, and proceeds to call us up to begin our training.