CHAPTER 7: The Unexpected

"So?" Brie looks at me expectantly as I step out of the shower and start changing into pyjamas.

"I have half a mind to just pick someone so I never have to go through all that shit again!" I exclaim as I put lotion on my body.

Not on my watch

Eris you were there, you know how it went, you really want a repeat of that?

Get serious about finding our true mate so we don't have to do any of that. I will not settle for a forced mate.

You will if you must

That's enough to send her off to some dark corner in my mind while she seethes with anger.

"What happened? Surely it can't all be so bad?"

"I wasn't all bad, but the bad was really bad, and embarrassing!"

"Girl, shut the fuck up and get to the details, I want to know everything! I saw the candidates that your dad invited, all of them are very, very edible, so I've been anxious about this all day!"

"Anxious about my dates?"

"Yes, quite unsettled, even Regina has been restless, so put us out of our misery and spill that tea!"

"Okay, I'll start with the best dates and work my way down...

***Flashback***

I enter the second date that I'm supposed to be on, the first having been a huge disaster and I'm met the handsome and polite Monroe Ellis. He stands up to greet me and I see his whole outfit. He is wearing a button-down black shirt tucked into some slim fit high waisted black pants. He's paired this off with some black loafers with gold accent embroidery. I am slightly taken aback by how put together he looks and I unconsciously take a breath of relief as I sit down into the chair he pulled out for me.

Monroe is lovely and he is all politeness and decorum, and had I been a lesser wolf, I would not have heard the nervous speed his heart had taken to beating or seen the slight, yet persistent shaking of his leg as we talked. Amused as I am, I decide to take him out of his misery by aggressing the elephant in the room, after a little fun that is.

"Wow Monroe, I feel like this is one of the best dates I've been on, like ever. Definitely top 5. I have half a mind to put an end to everything and choose you right here right now," I muse, beaming up at him as convincingly as I can.

His face falls immediately and he looks terrified. His heart starts to beat much faster, and his leg is practically shaking the table. He's too kind to object and flashes me his best smile but it's obviously pained. I regret the joke slightly and immediately decide to double down.

"Monroe, relax. It's a joke. I know you're waiting for your mate; I'd never do that to you." I assure, with my hands up in surrender.

He takes a deep breath before looking up at me apologetically, "I'm sorry, I don't mean to waste your time, but I've been bound by duty. I was hoping to come in here and be an asshole to put you off, but I heard what happened with Alpha Keller, and I didn't want to make this experience more traumatic for you. Besides, I'm not really good at being an asshole, it usually comes off like a 40 year old trying to pass as a teenage bully," he confesses, evidently more at ease.

"Don't apologise, I admire your commitment, that's why I'm rooting for you. I hope you find your mate this time around, so you don't go home with nothing."

"Thank for the sentiment Amari, but you're the only she-wolf in this pack I haven't met, so if it's not you, then it's no one."

I felt bad for him, but the rest of the date went very well. He was more relaxed, so he showed more of his character.