CHAPTER 6: New Prospects

It's been a week and a half since the incident with Denzel. Not much has happened since. The dinner with my parents didn't go as I anticipated. I mean it started as I thought it would, with me seeing my mom and her crying because she finally has me back. I'd missed her more than I thought I would. I talked to her all the time when I was away but there was something about physical proximity that made me realise how long six years really was. It was the same with my dad. When he wasn't in Alpha mode and being all official, I enjoyed his affection. Home felt safe for the first time in like 20 years.

But the elephant in the room had to be addressed and for a moment we had to be formal and discuss what happened with 'darling Denny' as my mom calls him. I braced myself to be reprimanded, but after I went through all the details of what happened, for the first time in a long time, my mom's wolf came out. She didn't shift but her eyes glowed and her voice changed. It's not every day we get to see Davina, not in a situation like this.

My mom doesn't lose control. She's the master of composure. Davina, on the other hand, is terrifying. She is a jet-black wolf whose fur matches my mom's coils. She almost looks like as shadow if not for her glowing hazel eyes. She's a large creature known to go for the jugular. She doesn't fight, she kills. With all that said, I was shitting bricks. At first, I thought she was mad at me and I got ready to hightail it to the surrounding woods until she calmed down but then she shocked me more when she spat out "I'll kill that dog. I'll rip his head from his body if he thinks he can threaten my baby!"

She yelled the last part and I looked to my dad for help in taming her, but alas, he seemed to be fighting to keep his own wolf in check too. If Zale took control Denzel was as good as dead. My dad's wolf is notoriously vicious. Known as the dark wolf, ironically, because much like my dad's hair, his fur is ginger. Not ginger like Brie though, his is a dirty dark shade closer to auburn, where Brianna's is closer to orange. They call him dark because he is ruthless. Because despite his glowing silver eyes, his glare has a darkness to it. Brie and I had to divide and conquer. She went calm my mom and I went after my dad. It was terrifying in the moment, but hilarious in hindsight.

When they both finally calmed down enough to not be at the brink of shifting, I let them know the rest, that I went to see him to try and bury the hatchet and how that whole failed mission went (swearing omitted). I saw my mom's eyes glow briefly before she composed herself and said "well shit, you must really be in a healthy place coz I would have taken up Dr. D's offer." Brie and I looked at each other trying to fathom the fact that that The Kira Nash, Luna of the Silver Moon Pack, Co-founder of Titan Inc., swore.

Nonetheless, it was an eventful dinner that concluded with me being given props for being better composed than my parents. They reacted as they did from simply hearing the details, I lived it and managed to not kill him. In fact, I intentionally avoided it. I guess it makes sense though, I mean, my parents went through my traumas with me, but as parents. Parents whose child spent a lot of time in the pack hospital because she'd been kidnapped and brutally beaten. It's natural for them to react this way to a threat directed towards me. Especially because I was their 'miracle baby', after they'd struggled for a pup for a long time.

Denzel has stayed out of my way for the most part. He remembered his manners so when we do cross paths, he bows his head and addresses me correctly. He can't look Charles, or my parents in the eye anymore. He's both afraid and ashamed. What a waste, because although he hated me, he loved them and them him. He was family after all.

Timothy is still standoffish about me being around. He still makes me train and spar with warriors even though none of them besides Deidra are ever willing. I'd be more useful as a trainer but he's too stubborn and angry to allow it and even though I'm future alpha of the pack, I need to respect members in their designated capacities, otherwise I risk coming off as tyrannical. Besides, he's very respectful and duty bound but right under the surface, you can see the discontent. I think I'll have to talk to him because I have a feeling my presence is affecting his relationship with Charles. There's just a tension there because Charles is uncomfortable with Timothy's attitude and Timothy is unhappy with Charles' unwavering loyalty and defence towards me.