CHAPTER 25: Charlotte Knows

Ever since that night, I haven't had any time with Amari, and it breaks my heart. I don't even know where she's been sleeping. All I know is she hasn't been in our room, and she hasn't been in the guest room that I used to sleep in. Our room feels so empty when she's not there that I've taken to just wearing her clothes just to feel a little closer to someone who is avoiding me.

I mean, I can't blame her. That night, when she shifted, I didn't expect Eres to look like that. In fact, she didn't even look like Eres, and I was terrified. Her size, colour and eyes, none of it was familiar and I admit, I panicked. She looked threatening and I know I watched Amari become her, but I guess it just seemed too surreal for me at the time.

In fact, when Brie and Mo came out on account of all the noise, I was still in shock. Amari had run off and I didn't even have the ability to tell them what happened. I just pointed out to the woods. Brie was very impatient with me and kept yelling, "Where the hell is she Charlotte?' I'd never seen her so angry, and I wish I had been more useful at the time but my brain was lagging.

"Why the fuck would you just let her run off?" was the last thing Brie said to me before she shifted and took after Amari.

It took me a while to get my bearings and I finally told Mo to go back inside while I waited for an Amari who never came. She had also blocked off her mind link so I couldn't reach her. Now the only time I see Ames is when we accidentally run into each other and even then, she looks like she can't wait to get away form me. I don't blame her, but I just wish she'd hear me out. But I figured I'll give her some space. Maybe some distance will be good and then she can always reach out to me when she's ready.

I've been spending most of my time with Deidra and although I appreciate the company, I really miss my mate. I miss our trainings and just being around each other. I miss us hunting down info on the Selene and now that we are officially mated, I feel her absence more.

Today is no different than any other sad day without my mate, so I walk into the kitchen to find something to pretend to eat because I've had no appetite. I bump into Brie and Mo and overhear them talking about Amari having a visitor today.

"Yeah, she's the beautiful and enchanting Desirée. A witch that Ames became really close to when we were away. To say I was jealous of their friendship would be an understatement," she laughs as she recalls her association with the witch. "But Desirée is so charming, I couldn't help but start to like her too. It was so frustrating. And she took care of Ames so well that it was easy for me to just trust her." Brie adds.

I don't know why, but that makes me instantly jealous, and I start to ask questions. Well at least I try but Brianna is not being very forthcoming. In fact, she seems a little irritated.

"Just ask her yourself!" she snaps finally, and I'm gobsmacked.

"I'm giving her space," I explain at almost a whisper.

"Are you stupid or something? Why would you do that? Like the last time she saw you, you were fleeing from her in terror, and wanted nothing to do with her. So, your solution to that, is to remain as far from her as possible?"

I'm quiet. Venus is angry at the disrespect in her tone, but I'm humbled by her accuracy. When she says it like that, it does sound kind of dumb.

"And on top it off, don't you think it's kind of selfish for you to leave it all to her? Like she is the one that's supposed to approach you after you were the one that drove the two of you apart? Get a clue Charlotte Odair.

"When you arrived here, Mari did everything she could to accommodate you. Make you feel at home and make you feel wanted. She made us promise to give you all the attention you required in an attempt to heal your traumas. Even now, whilst you're 'giving her space' or whatever the fuck you call ignoring the mate whose mark you have on display right now, whilst you're wearing her damn clothes, she wants us to be good to you. She still wants to make sure you're okay. It hurts her that she can't check up on you herself, but she has it in her head that you're terrified of being around her.