CHAPTER 24: Old Friend

Things between Charlotte and I have been kind of awkward. She avoids me (I don't blame her) and I keep to myself. I've been sleeping in my office lately, just so I don't bother her. I've spent a great deal of time just working. It hasn't helped in distracting me from any thoughts of Charlotte, but it has kept me busy enough to not go looking for her.

To top things off, I've had this looming anxiety. I don't know why but I feel like something is coming, and it doesn't feel like its good. Worse off, Denzel has been gone for a few days now, and although it's not uncommon for pack members to leave and travel, it's just very unsettling that this feeling I have coincides with his departure. I brush the thought away as I prepare for my meeting with Desirée. I trust that she'd be able to shed light on whatever could be going on.

Desirée has a very unsettling presence if you aren't familiar with her. She is very obviously a witch and I always laughed at how stereotypical she appeared and dressed. I receive a mind link from one of our guards that she's arrived. Instead of just appearing in my office, she decided to walk through the pack grounds on her way to meet me. Typical of her to want to create unease amongst people, but I know that she was likely assessing the Pack climate. She used to do that at every new place we went to when I was away. She'd arrive at the gate and slowly walk in, collecting all the information she needed on her surroundings. On some occasions she's tell me we had to leave because she'd find out something that made her uneasy.

I sense her outside my door before she knocks and I get up to open it for her since I can't mind link her to just come in. She walks in her long black dreadlocks almost dragging on the ground behind her, but she's uses her magic to levitate them, so they stay just above the ground and trail behind her. She's wearing dark makeup with a smoky eye and black lipstick, a long black dress with a high slit that makes her thigh high black boots visible. She has on a corset that's tightly fit, giving her more of an hourglass frame than she typically has. She is gorgeous with a full figure and a very powerful aura. She looks at least my age, but I know she is an ancient witch. Witches live very, very long lives. Desirée once told me that they could live forever if they didn't always find trouble that got them killed.

When I was in school, she took a liking to me and introduced herself. I was surprised by that because witches typically like to remain hidden from other species. We became fast friends, and I came to trust her, and she trusted me. That's why, when I called, she came. Witches would never step foot on Wolf territory, but here she is.

"Hello, my dear, long time no see," she says with her signature sly grin as I give her a long hug and usher her into my office and to a seat. She doesn't really sit down, never did actually. Instead, she hovers above the seat, and I go around to my chair and take a seat.

"Hi Dez, its lovely to see you again," I greet her back with a smile.

"You know I hate it when you call me that. Nicknames are so basic Amari," she complains.

"Alright, Desirée," I acquiesce. "How have you been?" We catch us as she tells me about her life, and I update her on mine. I'm happy to hear she's been doing well, and I apologise for not reaching out when I got back. She doesn't mind though; she's been busy herself and that knowledge makes me feel a lot better.

"So, what business had you summon an old witch to these pack grounds?" She finally asks. "Last time I was here, this was just a small little pack with a very ambitious alpha," she adds.

"Yes, about that," I begin, "A few weeks ago, there was an attack here. Well, it was a failed attack. It was old rogues, at least 3 years old. There were 3 of them on our borders."

"Yes, but what does that have to do with me, darling?" she interrupts.

"Well, the rogues were cloaked," I say, rolling my eyes at her impatience. "I smelt them from our training grounds, but had I not, I know they would have attacked," I conclude.

"You smelt them beyond the cloak?" She investigates. I brush off the question and instead steer us back to the topic at hand.

"Focus Dez! Yes, I smell cloaked wolves, I've always been able to. But can we focus on the fact that these rogues were cloaked. Now we all know that rogues, especially such old ones, do not have the presence of mind to seek out a witch and ask for a cloak, which means they were sought out."

"Firstly, don't call me that. Second, I understand your concern. This cloak wasn't to cover up a scent for protection or privacy, it was to cover up a scent for violence. Even witches in the dark arts would not dare to disturb our ancient peace by doing that." Desirée looks deep in thought then she lights up when it seems she has figured something out.

"The cloak is 100% witchcraft that could only have been done by a witch or a hybrid."

I look at her confused and a part of me panics a little.

"A hybrid? Desirée, we haven't had one since Diana," I try to challenge her theory.

"Well, that's not quite true. Hybrids are not common, since witches and wolves don't tend to intermingle, but flings between them are possible and can lead to children. Diana was a hybrid, but that's not where her power came from. She was also a blessed wolf. When a wolf is blessed, all her abilities are amplified, and when you're a hybrid, the witch part of you is also amplified and although, for the most part, you will be a wolf, your master of the craft can be up to the standard of some powerful witches.

"But there has not been a blessed witch since her. Most hybrids are like normal wolves who can do minor spells, like cloaks, seduction, and maybe levitation. The witch side is minor compared to the wolf side because being a witch is about your spirituality, and since there is already a wolf that occupies your spirit, there isn't much room for magic. You aren't dealing with a witch. I would know if someone tried to be reckless and cause such trouble. But since it's a wolf, it's not something I can investigate."

I nod my head understanding, but there is something unsettling about a hybrid using magic to attack our pack. I can't think of a reason why. Our pack has been at peace with everyone for a very long time. We don't fight wars against other packs, we fight to defend them, so the idea of someone going out of their way to do all this baffles me. Then a thought comes into my head. What if this has to do with me being the Selene and the prophecy? What if they are trying to kill me before it comes to pass?

I make my mind up to ask Desirée about it. It would be stupid not to, and now I really want to know.

"Uhm, Desirée," I begin, she looks up at me with that smile on her face, "What do you know about the Selene?"

Before I can get an answer, I smell my mate by the door. I mind link her to come in because I can sense that's she's distressed. She opens the door and just stares between me and Desirée.