CHAPTER 26: Selene

I stand up and have Charlotte sit on my chair, while I go around the desk to grab a different chair and settle by Desirée since its easier than taking the chair all the way around, and more polite than having Char sit next to a stranger. Besides, things are still awkward, and I don't want to be presumptuous and assume she wants to be near me. The distress I sensed when she was at the door is still there, along with a myriad of other emotions that I don't have the time to decipher at the moment.

"Desirée this is my mate, Charlotte. Charlotte, this is Desirée, my friend, the witch I mentioned before," I introduce. They both stand up to greet each other. Charlotte extends her hand, and Desirée does the same, except, instead of shaking hands, she reaches past Charlotte's outstretched arm to the collar of her shirt. Her shirt that looks a lot like my shirt. She opens the collar a little more to expose my mark, and just seeing it gives me butterflies. I miss her.

"Interesting," she observes, then flashes me a smile, "I guess this means you're officially off the market." Charlotte growls in response. She's jealous. I can sense it and I'm confused because firstly, its Desirée, there's no need to be jealous, and secondly, I thought she wanted nothing to do with me. Desirée looks between us, amused and then sits back down, with Charlotte doing the same.

"So, you wanted to know about the Selene Wolf?" Desirée begins, picking up where we had left off. I see Charlotte sit up straight in attention. Her fingers hover above the pen and notebook I have on my desk, and I mind link her to tell her it's okay to use them. She grabs the pen and opens the book and readies herself for whatever Desirée is gearing up to say.

Desirée explains how the Selene is a blessed wolf of pure blood. "She is often identifiable with a lack of pigment on certain parts of her skin: I'll call it vitiligo to just make it easier but we all know that it's a sign that the person was kissed by the Moon Goddess herself." She gives me a pointed look when she says this, and I just roll my eyes. I know I'm the Selene, she knows I'm the Selene, why is she describing me to myself, she should just get to the point.

"Moving on," she continues, "There has only ever been one Selene before you who was the mother of Diana. It's said that it was only through a Selene that a wolf as powerful as Diana could come about. In fact, that's one of abilities of a Selene: bringing forth a Diana wolf. That wolf has a claim to the throne because it is a Royal wolf. There is a prophesy, have you come across it yet?"

"From the blood of the Selene, the mother shall return to take her thrown!" Charlotte responds before I have to time to think about it.

"Yes, well that's basically what that means. That Amari is apparently supposed to give birth to a Diana wolf which means there is a great change brewing and the Moon Goddess anticipates that a Diana wolf will be paramount to saving, well, everyone."

We both look at her with confused expressions. "So wait, let me get this straight, my great purpose... is to reproduce?" I ask, disappointed.

"Well, not really, it's a prophesy, not an assignment of your life's purpose. Simply put, it tells you what will happen when you reproduce, it doesn't instruct you to do so." Desirée explains.

"Well, if you can bring forth a Royal wolf, it could explain the attacks," Charlotte posits. "I mean, I don't think the Royal Family wants you dead, but it could be loyalists that want to preserve the Monarch and see you as a threat. Given that the Selene can be identified even before the powers manifest mean that from birth, there were people who knew you were the Selene who have been conspiring to get rid of you, alongside the ones who may have just been trying to exploit your parents," she concludes.

Before I can agree, Desirée interjects, "Actually, it's safer to assume the opposite," she contradicts.  We look at her for further information. 

"Well, when Alpha Jax, who was a lovely man by the way, when he received his blessing about how his bloodline will bring the Selene and as a consequence the Diana wolf, word got out and Alphas of other packs set out to try to replicate a pure bloodline. The problem with that is, firstly, the entire lineage had to be sold on the idea because their true mates would not all be alphas, so they'd only be able achieve this through generations of forced mates. This also meant it wasn't enough to convince your bloodline, your descendants would also have to convince other alpha-born people from other packs to do the same.