CHAPTER 12: The Ball

I arrive at the ball before all the guests so I can be ready to greet them: my mother made sure. She did an amazing job with the Hall. I'm glad I get to see it before people arrive because I can appreciate all the time and effort she put into it. There are lights all over the walls and ceiling, meticulously placed to mimic our constellations with a big round light in the middle put in place of the moon. All the tables are lit with long candles, and the stage is elevated and decorated with lights and white flowers ranging from roses to calla lilies to orchids. The same flowers decorate the tables, the floors and up the walls mixing in with the lights.

Everything looks very intentionally placed with nothing seeming arbitrary or random. That's a lot of effort given the size of this building. For a brief moment I experience some existential dread thinking about having to host events like this once I take over for my parents. I could never be this meticulous and patient.

My moment of self-rebuke is interrupted by the combined smell of 2 very familiar people.

"Monroe and Brianna, I see you're still alive," I say before turning around to see the happy couple approach me arm in arm.

"That nose of your is going to sniff out some trouble one of these days Ames!" Brie responds.

"Been there, done that," I respond nonchalantly as I embrace them both before stepping back to take in their outfits.

Brie is wearing an off-white, A-line gown with off the shoulder puff sleeves and a layered skirt. The dress has floral embroidery all over which is highly concentrated on the bodice and increases is sparsity towards the hemline. She looks ethereal. Monroe is wearing an off-white suit with high-waisted pants, a silk shirt with a band collar and a suit jacket with a banded collar to match. The pants and the jacket have floral embroidery to match Brie's dress and the shirt is neatly tucked into the pants and has full shank buttons that only go half-way down with all except 3 left unbuttoned.

They both look like such a dream couple, and I do an internal dance thanking the Moon Goddess that these beautiful people found each other. We exchange complements before I pull Brie to the side to do a quick catch up before the event begins. She's the one who knows the schedule for the day and I need a quick briefing.

"Okay, so your parents are going to welcome everyone with their Beta and Gamma beside them. Your dad will do a short speech welcoming esteemed guests and all that crap. Then he'll introduce you and you'll do that speech we prepared. Then you formally begin the festivities. There will be starters that will be served as people mingle and get to know each other, then dinner will be served and everyone will be invited to sit down and eat, a live band will be playing, then the dance floor will be opened for more mingling. Dessert will be served to guests who want it, and the rest of the evening will just be a party."

When she's done explaining Monroe is back at her side with his arm around her waist. I see her blush a little as she tilts her head to the side and allows him to peck her neck right where his mark is. It forms a beautiful pattern down her neck, and she closes her eyes slightly at the contact.

I start to walk away awkwardly and slowly until she snaps out of her trance and says, "Oh and Ames, if you happen to find your mate tonight, you'll have to announce it to the party as a formality so that all the hopefuls can know that you're not on the market anymore!"

I look at her shocked and confused. I have to announce my mate? Like this is some competition and I have to tell everyone who lost to go home? This cannot be fucking real.

"Surely that's not necessary?" I beg.

"Your mother specifically requested it hun, so it must be done. But trust me, when you find your mate, you'll want to tell everyone," Brie reassures me, whilst looking at Monroe and opening his shirt to expose more of her mark on his neck. I just roll my eyes and walk away.

My parents and other ranked wolves arrive and shortly after, guests start to arrive and we stand by the entrance to welcome them. The Royals arrive. Not the actual King and Queen, but their second son who my father is hoping I choose as a mate. His name is Xavier and he is very handsome, kind and humble from the few interactions we've had, but I'm not sure I want to be mated to a Royal, it seems to come with more trouble than it's worth.

Once all the guests are settled in, the Ball officially begins and the programme Brie described is followed. My father gives his speech with all the charm and cadence expected from Titus Nash. Everything he says is expected, until he starts to talk about me.

"My daughter Amari Nash is finally back home after a six-year absence," he begins, "and I have never been happier as both her father and the Alpha of Silver Moon. There has been much speculation about her absence, and to silence any doubts about her commitment to this pack, I'd like to address those concerns. When my darling Mari was a pup, she was subject to a cruel victimisation. She was kidnapped and harmed by enemies of this pack. These incidents are why we worked so hard to build this pack and grow stronger. We wanted to protect all the little pups and shield their parents from pain and fear we experienced for all those years.

"We knew, however, that she and consequently, the pack, would not be safe if she stayed, so we did something unprecedented and sent her out into the world to assist the pack internationally. She negotiated, advised and represented the pack on many occasions which allowed my mate, Luna Nash and I the liberty to remain here and build the pack to the extent that we did. It is through her diplomacy that we can even welcome members of the Royal Family here because it is through meeting her that they built an alliance with our Pack.

"I am so proud of the woman she has become and that said, it is my pride and honour to introduce our guest of honour, the jewel to the Nash Crown, my beautiful daughter and the soon to be Alpha of the Silver Moon Pack, Amari Nash!" The crowd erupts in applause as I try to pull myself together in lieu of that speech.

I walk up the stage and look into a crowd of people. I clear my throat and begin my speech with thanking my father for that welcome and then observing all other protocols. I say everything that I'd rehearsed with my mother and Brie and end the speech by saying, "During my absence, I made sure to study not only the ins and outs of this pack, but also those of our kind. My duty extends to all werewolves. It is an honour to be welcomed at this magnitude and stand before all our friends from all around the world. I am humbled by the love and support and I hope for more years of peace, allyship and growth. May the Moon Goddess bless this celebration and may the festivities formally begin!"

The crowd applauds as I bow my head and step away from the mic to join my parents at the side of the stage while guest disperse and mingle. We then exit the stage and start to mingle ourselves with my parents having me talk to as many guest as possible with special attention being paid to the Royals.

After the dance floor is opened, I go to grab some dessert and manage to escape the room to find a solitary place to recharge my social battery. I find myself on one of the small balconies overlooking the woods and take a breath of fresh air as the cool air hits my face. I not outside for long when I'm intoxicated by the scent of strawberry shortcake. I'd smelt hints of it all night, but right now, at this moment, it overwhelmed both me and Eres.