Hayley

The night before

I had heard that there was a new member to our advertising group last night. With the new addition I looked at his file out of curiosity and there wasn't much to see but it had exactly what I needed to know.

Reading the file on the top of the sheet of paper in my hand said,

Lucas Millar.

At that moment I felt my heart fall to the pit of my stomach, while my hand started to shake a bit making the paper fall to the floor. It couldn't be. I refused to believe it was really him.

Everything came through my mind in that exact moment from when my eyes drifted across the paper reading that name to the paper falling to the floor. "I haven't seen him in 10 years." I whispered to myself, lowering my eyes to the floor, staring at the paper on the ground.

Contemplating whether it could be a coincidence or not. I threw myself back into my leather cushion seat and opened my laptop and typed in my password as fast as I could.

Incorrect.

"Shit" I said in a shaky voice to myself. While I felt water fill my eyes, and my vision became blurry until a single tear drop fell from my eyes down to the pink of my cheeks and falling on my shirt. I brought my hand up to wipe my eyes.

Taking a deep breath in and out calming myself while typing in the code again.

It was correct.

I pressed a new tab and wrote the name Lucas Millar. I promised myself I wouldn't do this. Try and search him up and find him. I kept that promise except for a couple times when my curiosity took hold of me, but I never pressed on anything. I just typed the name into the search bar then deleted it.

About to press the enter button I stopped myself. Pausing in the moment I realized, I didn't want to know if it was him or not.

If it was, I would know soon enough. I shut the laptop and stared at the wall thinking about how heartbroken thirteen-year-old Hayley was when she found out her best friend in the world had left without saying goodbye.

I never heard from him after that. Eventually I let myself accept what had happened and made that promise to myself. Now I wondered if all those feelings would come back when I would see him.

The morning after

When I walked into the office that morning, my heart was beating so fast I felt like other people could see it.

As if it'll burst out of my chest at any given moment.

But we had a meeting that morning, and after the night I had, I really needed to pull it together. I walked over to the break room and hung my sweater on the holder, then made my way into my office.

The nagging feeling of him being here, him being in the same building as me made me get up out of my chair and head the way to the office they had said he would be using.

I looked at the door for a minute and before I could regret anything I knocked on the door. The guy opening it.

It was him. It was Lucas.

He was grown but he still was Lucas, the same Lucas with straight fluffy hair, dark thick eyebrows, and light brown eyes I used to never shut up about how much I loved his eyes. Even though I was the one with green eyes. But he was different. Muscular, sharp jawline, he wasn't the boy I used to know he was a man now.

I had realized something else in that moment. I didn't know him anymore. He probably wouldn't even recognize me anymore.

I introduced myself and he didn't seem like he recognized me, or even knew who I was.