Lucas

I didn't know what had gotten into me asking Hayley if she wanted me.

 I just needed to know. And now I did, she doesn't want me, just as I suspected. There was a moment in her hesitation that gave me hope but then it all came crashing when her answer was out. 

That doesn't mean she won't want me in the future though. She doesn't know the grown-up version of me as well. Understandable that she doesn't want me now. 

If she needs time, I'll give it to her. If she is still hurting, I'll try to heal every single wound. If she doesn't know what real love feels like I will show it to her, in every single way possible.

For now, I can stay her friend.

She seemed genuinely hurt. I didn't tell her about Viki. I'm not sure why I didn't tell her, it just didn't come up, I guess.

After that we sat on the couch together. She sat on one end and me on another, with her legs crossed and facing me. While I moved my body to face her in return.

"Did you not want me to know? Are we even friends? Look I-" I cut her off at her rambling.

"Stop Hayley. Just for a minute, I'll answer all your questions just one at a time. Ok?" I asked, looking her directly in the eye.

She nodded and proceeded to start with her questions.

"Did you not want me to know?"

"It wasn't like that Hayley. I just didn't find the right time, and I didn't think it was that important."

"Well, it's important to me, I thought we were at least friends." She tilted her head down, not looking me in the eyes anymore."

"I'm sorry."

"Are we even friends?" Her voice broke on the last word. The sentence came out quiet.

"Of course we are. You've always been my best friend." My heart twisted a bit. She would even ask that.

"Pinky promise?" The two words came out in more of a whisper.

"You always had to make me a pinky promise." I said laughed.

The memories of when we were young hit me hard. Any time she wanted to know if I was telling the truth as kids, she would make me a pinky promise. She said we could never break it.

"It's the strongest promise, you can never break it. Remember?"

"How could I forget hayls" I gave her a smile when I noticed she finally lifted her eyes to mine.

Hayley held out her pinky to me, looking me into the eyes. I held out my pinky aswell, a small laugh waiting to be let out. And our pinky fingers joined together. A small sigh was let out from Hayley.

Before she jumped up and hugged me. It caught me by surprise but I didn't fight it. My hand held the back of her head close to my chest.

A moment later she quickly pulled herself off of me. Pushing herself back to the other end of the couch.

She seemed worried, like she had done something wrong by hugging me.

 She tucked her knees close to her chest and wrapped her arms around them like she needed to contain herself from touching me.

"Oh m- I- I'm so sorry" Hayleys voice came out timid.

"It's okay." I tried to say, I was almost cut off by her.

"No, no I-it's not okay. I'm sorry. I just got caught up in the moment. And I didn't know what to do, I'm sorry and I know you have a girlfriend now. I just wa-" She was talking so fast I could barely register what she had said.