Lucas

Pulling into the restaurant parking lot, Hayley looked out her window confused.

Taking off my seatbelt and stepping out of the car. I walked over to the other side opening the door for Hayley. Holding the car door, waiting for her to give me her hand.

Her hand met mine.

She stepped out looking so beautiful and I had to let her know it.

Grasping her hand and pulling her to my chest, I pushed a piece of hair behind her ear. Leaning down to her height and meeting her ear.

"You look so damn beautiful." pulling myself away from her, I cleared my throat.

Not being able to keep my eyes off her, while her face started to turn pink. Gently bringing my hand on her lower back, we started to walk toward the restaurant.

"Give me a second to fix my heels.'' Hayley called out to me, pausing on the sidewalk.

Taking in the silky black dress I had chosen from her closet earlier; I looked down at her heel strap coming undone.

Pausing her from leaning down about to fix her shoe. I knelt down with one knee on the floor in front of her.

Looking up at her with her eyes wide open, I took her foot resting on my thigh. Fixing her shoe for her.

I came back to my usual height standing in front of her while she stared at the spot I was kneeling at the moment before.

Bringing my finger up to her chin and tilting her head up to meet my eyes. I gave her my flirty smirk I knew she loved.

She'll never admit it though.

"I'm up here now, you know?" Bringing out the smirk from her pink lips, we started walking once again.

We had just gotten seated at our table, and I couldn't find the right thing to say to Hayley. I kept my eyes on  my menu. Stealing a glance at Hayley, she noticed me staring and I put my menu down.

"I'm going to go to the bathroom really quickly and I'll be back." I said quickly.

I didn't really need to use the bathroom, but I needed to clear my head. And find something to say to her. This isn't a real date, so I shouldn't be nervous.

Right?

I went back to the table after a couple minutes and right as I sat, I felt something different. A shift in the air.

But I couldn't focus on that because the waiter came to take our order.

"You two are such a beautiful couple. Could I get anything started for you?" The waiter said with a gentle smile.

"We're not a couple," Hayley said quickly, without missing a beat.

Pausing for a moment my throat felt dryer. I knew we weren't a couple obviously. But the way she said it felt like it would be a bad thing.

Was it a bad thing?

Did she not think of me in that way?

I had so many questions that I knew I wouldn't have the answer to. And I didn't have time to think about it anymore because it was my turn to order.

"I'll get the same as she did." I said vaguely.

I knew I shouldn't feel this way like a burning in my chest to be called her boyfriend. When I was nothing but her roommate to her.

The rest of the night was alright. We didn't talk much, just normal conversations about the people at work and our day. But the whole night I couldn't help but think about what she had said before.