Lucas

I hated that I couldn't be there for Hayley earlier. I'm aware this isn't something new and it happens every month, but she was hurting, and I couldn't help.

This was the first time I was aware of one of her periods while I lived here. Obviously, I knew it happened, but I never knew when. She's always cranky so I could tell the difference. But she's never asked for my help.

I liked helping her and being there for her when I'm needed. Our friendship has really grown a lot and I'm glad. There were times I wished it was more but maybe it's for the best.

Maybe this is how it is destined to be like. Not together as a couple but together as friends. I finally got my best friend back.

"Good morning." I turned over on the couch at the sound of Hayley's voice.

"Good morning." I mumbled rubbing a hand over my face.

I watched as Hayley turned on the coffee machine and turned to me. She stood hands on the counter behind her watching me closely for a minute.

"You know we have work today, right?"

"Yes."

"You know you should be getting ready right?"

"I'll be ready, don't worry."

"We leave in 45 minutes. Be. Ready. By. Then."

"Yes ma'am."

Hayley glared at me for a moment.

A smirk played on my lips, and my head fell back. God, I love when she gets all bossy with me.

I gathered my strength from my sleepy body and started to get ready just as she told me too.

A few days later.

Opening the door to catch the sight of Hayley huddled into the corner of the couch with a book in her hand. I take that as an obvious sign to not bother her and quietly sit on the other end of the couch.

Sliding the phone out of my pocket I swipe through all the things I haven't had the chance to look at today.

A while passed and we hadn't said a word to each other so curiously I lifted my eyes from my phone to her swiftly.

Hayleys hair is pulled together by a clip just a couple of strands lost from the updo behind her ears, her baggy green sweatshirt is twice her size with her tiny black shorts.

I let myself admire her watching as she focused solely on the book in her hand. Letting my mind wander into thought about her. What is her mind like? What is she thinking? Then her face flushes as her eyes skim the page. Her face starts to heat up just enough for it to be noticeable if you're close. Hayley lifts her eyes and looks at me first, then to her side. Before she sinks into the couch more and hides the book closer to her face

"Hayls?"

"Lucas?" Her voice is quiet, she doesn't lift her gaze to meet mine, she stays exactly where she is.

"What's wrong?"

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"I saw your face turn red."

She immediately closed her book, leaving her thumb on the page she was reading.

"No, you didn't." Her blush started to spread to her nose. The tip of her nose is light pink.

"What's in the book Hayley?" My tone started to become playful.

"Nothing"

After the word came out, she ran in the direction of her room. Two strides and I was behind her lifting her by the waist and into the air.