Hayley

Laying down on the blanket, closing my eyes and taking in the breeze, with my earphones in.

I squinted open my eyes to see Lucas lying next to me looking around. Taking one earphone out of my ear I tap Lucas passing him it.

Seeing him look at me and take the earphone he turned around to lay on his back. Matching the same position, I'm in.

He laid next to me in silence listening to the music with me. We haven't talked much since we had an awkward moment when we almost kissed. It didn't feel awkward to me, I just don't have the words to describe it.

It was something I wanted.

Secretly I wanted Lucas to kiss me and feel the world drift away as the kiss gets better. To feel his lips on me. But that didn't happen. He didn't kiss me. He doesn't think about me that way and never will. He is just a massive flirt. And my childhood best friend.

Over the past few weeks, it's been amazing to get my best friend back. We talk and watch shows together, and he just understands me.

The only thing is I wish it was more sometimes. And it'll never be, because Lucas doesn't think of me that way.

Like henry always said, "no one else wants you Hayley, your trash without me. you're so lucky I pity you and stay with a girl like you." Sometimes I think back to that and ask myself why Lucas would want me.

He's everything any girl could want, he's tall, muscular, tan skin, respectful and so handsome. He wouldn't think of me in that way.

Ever.

Although in moments like the ones that just happened it feels like he could. Like maybe he does see me in like that. And not just his old childhood friend that he is living with.

Just the feeling of his hand on my skin makes a spark fire along my body, making my breaths heavy. All while my cheeks turning bright pink.

It has been 10 minutes since I have given Lucas an earphone to share with me, and neither of us have said a word to one another.

Feeling the tension in the air I took the earphone out of my ear and Lucas did too. Putting it away, I took out a book I bought from my bag. Starting to open the book and read, I noticed Lucas glance at me twice. Lifting my gaze from the book to him, I closed it, making eye contact with him.

"What's wrong?" I asked, tilting my head waiting for his answer.

"Nothing," he said vaguely.

I knew it was bothering him. We weren't talking like we usually are. And It bothered me too. I know the moment didn't mean anything so why act like it did.

I tapped my thigh, and he leaned down and laid his head on my thighs looking up at me. Tracing my finger along his face I pushed his hair away from his eyes, making him smile.

I picked up my book again flipping to the page I was on. While Lucas turned his head facing the ocean and not me anymore, still on my lap. With my open hand I traced it through his hair. Scratching his head while I sat taking in this moment.

I could feel the tension slipping away by the second before there wasn't any at all. It was just us.

Like it was when we were kids.

So, we laid there with each other. It felt that if I dared move a muscle, I could wake myself up into reality and this wouldn't be real. He wouldn't be here with me.

Sending myself into a spiral retracing the subject in my mind falling to henry.

All of the memories coming back to me. I didn't realize it was that bad until I looked at all of the things he's done. And all I could think about was all of the hits, the punches and the reasons why I would have deserved it.