Part 19

As I sat in the hospital room, waiting for the cast to be applied to my ankle, I could hear Taylor's voice echoing through the hallway. She was shouting my name, searching for me, but unable to find me.

Lanie had checked me in under my legal name not only cause it made accessing my medical files easier but also in the hopes that it would make this untraceable to the media. It wasn't like my name was different; just a few extra names on either side to beef it up slightly.

Unfortunately for Taylor and the poor nurse, she was yelling at, it meant that technically there wasn't an Andy Nickles here at this hospital, only a Stanley Andrew Nickles Kemp, so it seems Taylor is causing quite a commotion. It doesn't help that due to the police presence; the staff are under strict orders to only let people who know my actual name get into my room.

A part of me was tempted to let her stay out there. But I feel bad for the staff she is yelling at, not to mention I'm low-key worried that she will make such a scene she might get herself arrested. Which, while being amusing, would probably not be the best-case scenario right now.

So I guess I'm going to have to step in.

Plus, in all honesty, after everything that happened, I could use some comfort. As much as I hate to admit it to myself, Taylor is the best comfort I could ever ask for.

Looking over to Lanie, who was still by my side, I gave her a sheepish smile, earning myself an eye roll as she already knew what was coming. "Lanie, can you go let Taylor into the room, please? She's out there looking for me, and there is a good chance she will do something irrational if she doesn't find me soon."

Lanie nodded and hurriedly left the room to guide Taylor inside. I could hear Taylor's footsteps approaching, growing louder and more frantic. The door swung open, and there she stood, her eyes red and filled with a mix of anger and concern as her chest heaved with each breath.

I had never seen her so frantic before, and the sight had my chest hurting worse than when that dude was sitting on it.

"What the hell, Andy?" Taylor yelled, her voice laced with worry and frustration, as Greg lurked by the door; he gave me a once over, clearly deeming I was okay before nodding at me and stepping out into the hall. Clearly, he was going to hang out with the coppers who were still guarding the room.

"Why would you go in there? You could've been seriously hurt! You have been hurt! This is exactly why you need a damn bodyguard! How could you be so stupid? Who in their right mind sees their front door open and goes in? He could have killed you!" Tay continued to yell, her breath catching as she heaved, which had my eyes flying away from the door as they locked onto her.

Her words hit me like a punch to the gut, and I felt a pang of guilt for causing her such distress. I tried to defend myself; my voice strained with pain and exhaustion. "I... I didn't think... I just... I'm sorry, Tay." I managed to get out, looking at her as she paced around the room, tugging on her hair slightly as her eyes met mine, a crazed look glazing across her as she glared.

Taylor's eyes filled with tears, and her face contorted with a mix of pain and frustration. "Sorry isn't going to cut it, Andy!" She yelled, her voice trembling with a mixture of fear and anger. "You put yourself in danger, and for what? To handle things on your own? We're a team, damn it! We're supposed to face things together! You should have called me! Why didn't you call me? He could have killed you! You could have died!" She continues to yell, although her voice starts to lose its power as she becomes more desperate, angry tears brimming in her eyes.

Her words hit me hard, and guilt washed over me like a crashing wave. I could see the fear and worry etched on her face, overshadowing the anger. She cared about me, and I had caused her immense pain. I reached out, encouraging her to move closer to me, begging her silently to let me hold her.