Part 50

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Mick asks for the billionth time, making me roll my eyes as I make sure Clem's hat is covering her ears, checking that Mick hasn't done something stupid to Spence at the same time since he insisted on having him.

"Why wouldn't it be?" I shoot back, smiling at Clem, who is watching me from her carrier on my chest. "Because she thinks you are meeting her in New York in two days' time, not that you are turning up with both kids today," Mick deadpans, making me glad I let him have Spence since he is still sleeping and Mick is not being quiet at all. That's why he doesn't get Clem. He is constantly waking her up.

"That is the point of a surprise, Mick," I tease as we sneak around the side of the house. "Remind me again, how did you get the twins without giving away the surprise?" He asks, making me huff. He has asked me all these questions on a loop since we landed in Nashville, and I am starting to wish he went back home with Teddy and Nelia instead of coming with me.

"She has all these secret sessions and is flying around for them, so I said the twins could come with me to the LA shows, and then I would take them back to New York to meet up with her. They're four months now, and they're on formula, so it works. Lanie and Lex had the time of their lives watching them," I shrug, making Mick nod.

"So what's the plan? We are just going to walk in and hope no one spots us? Because that seems like a shite plan," Mick grumbles, making me smile. "Taylor and I talked about it, and we are ready for people to know about us. She is going to make it public when she drops the album, and then I'm going to make a post after her. As for the twins, we aren't hiding them, but we aren't going to talk about them publicly until they are old enough to make the decision themselves. We aren't going to post any pictures of them or anything, though," I shrugged. Taylor and I have already talked about this while we were spending time together as a family in the Lakes just after the twins were born.

"Ah, so we are about to soft launch everything right now?" He checks, making me hum. "Can I have Spence back now, please? I kind of want them both close when we go in," I ask, doing grabby hands for my son, earning a glare from Mick. He wasn't even supposed to be holding Spence. I have the double carrier ready for him, but Mick stole Spence when we got out of the car and has yet to give him back to me.

"No," Mick grumbles, making me roll my eyes. "He's sleeping. It's not like the noise will wake him up," he adds, making me shoot him a glare. "Too soon?" He asks, earning a nod. We found out at his two-month checkup that Spence is deaf. He is perfectly fine; he just inherited my family's crappy hearing. I mean, Teddy was born deaf in one ear, so it's not that surprising that Spence has hearing issues. I just wasn't expecting him to be completely deaf. So, Mick is right, the noise won't wake up Spence, but it's still a little fresh.

Taylor is having a harder time coming around to the fact that Spence can't hear us, but she is getting there. The first thing she did once we got back from the appointment, after crying for an hour in my arms, was demand that I start to teach her sign language. It is just taking her time to realise he can't hear her when she speaks to him or when we both sing to him. But we will get there. We are currently talking about the possibility of cochlear implantation, but we have time to figure out if we think that is a good idea. Spence can't even have them until he is nine months old, anyway.

It makes a lot of sense, though. The only time Spencer isn't screaming the house down is when one of us is holding him or if he's in the bassinet next to Clem. He has to be able to feel that we are with him since he can't hear that we are. I'm just kicking myself that I didn't realise until the doctor told us.

"Sorry, you know Angelo is my main man," Mick whispers, clearly noticing that I'm deep in thought, making me hum. It's true. Mick and Spence are practically glued at the hip when they can be; it's adorable, and at least I don't have to worry about Mick teaching Spence swear words or anything right now.