Part 26

Five days had passed since my birthday, and life seemed to be moving at a whirlwind pace. Taylor and I had spent most of our free time together, finding comfort in each other's presence as I took her to all my secret spots around the estate and in town.

However, I didn't spend nearly as much time with her as I wanted. If I had it my way, I would superglue our hands together so we could always be close. But unfortunately, that would go down poorly with Lanie and Tree. At least that is what Taylor told me when she rejected that idea the other day, although I swear if Teddy hadn't come looking for us, she would have caved when I gave her my puppy eyes.

I have also been spending hours in the studio while here, mainly pulling all-nighters to spend all day with Taylor. The twins weren't exactly thrilled with it. Still, when I promised Mick we could make Pasta (New Rules) a single, he caved, and since James was up in Glasgow working since the charity event, Teddy agreed soon after.

We have finished recording fifteen songs so far, twelve of which will definitely be going on the new album and three of which we are still considering. I have another ten or so songs finished lyrics-wise that we are going to play with, and then pick the album-worthy tracks closer to the release date.

I was hoping we would have gotten through a few more songs while I was here, but I am optimistic we will be able to finish the album when we all come home for Christmas. I figured it could be part of Lanie's gift since I know she is dying for us to do something. 

It's been a long time since we had a break, and Miss You is the first album we have not toured with. We were lucky enough to tour straight after our first album, even if it was in shitty pubs and clubs. So this has been uncharted waters for us, and I know the change has slightly worried Lanie.

Today was no different, and as I sat in the music studio, lost in my thoughts and the melody of my beat-up guitar as I tried to work out our sixteenth song before my flight later on tonight. We had been up late working on vocals, and while I had gone to bed for a while, I had woken up early with the melody for this song, and I wanted to get it down before I forgot it. 

Teddy is still asleep for sure because that boy loves sleep more than he loves James. And I am relatively sure Mick is up but on a morning run, so it's just me in the studio, which is perfectly fine with me.

"Hey," a voice shouted, making me jump a mile high, nearly lobbing my guitar across the room as one of my hands shot to my chest in an attempt to push my heart back into its cage. Spinning on the swivel seat I had been rolling around on, I was met with a grinning Taylor—a playful glint in her eyes as she caught me off guard.

I smiled, setting aside the sheet music I had been working on and placing my guitar down, giving her my full attention. As much as I wanted to be pissed at her for giving me a mild heart attack, I couldn't stop the smile from pulling at my lips. Just the sight of her makes me feel amazing.

"Hey yourself. Sneaking around now, are we?" I teased, pulling her closer to me before ultimately pulling her onto my lap, nuzzling my face into her neck with a grin, wanting her as close as humanly possible.

"Guilty as charged," she grinned, looking around the music studio with wonder in her eyes. "I can't believe you have this incredible workspace all to yourself. How have we been here nearly a week, and this is my first time seeing it?" She asked, her eyes not staying still as she took everything in.

"I do share with dumb and dumber. Plus, we don't usually let anyone in; this is sacred space, Tay," I said with a shrug, gesturing to the impressive equipment and instruments that adorned the room. "Shit, sorry. Did you want me to leave? I didn't mean to bother you. Mick came in from a run, spotted me making coffee, and said you would be here. He gave me directions and said to come see you," she obviously panicked, making me laugh slightly as I shook my head.