Part 40

"Hold on," I implore, my heart racing as I grapple with the unanticipated task at hand. "You can't just spring this on me without warning. I need time to prepare, to work out what she likes and so on. I need to know her favourite wine and chocolates. She is going to hate me, and I haven't even had a chance to get something to bribe her with yet. I would give her a house or something, but knowing you, you probably pay her a bucket load, and that would be a mute offer. You can't be serious," I spiral from the backseat of the car, fingers dancing across my phone with a feverish urgency. The mission: to secure tokens of affection for a particular fiery-haired figure who I am convinced will soon bear a storm of anger.

Never fuck with redheads. I've learned this the hard way.

"Can you possibly fathom the gravity of the situation? You're the one who's pissed her off, but I'm the one who's going to get it in the neck," I retort, frustration bubbling within me. Taylor, the supportive girlfriend she is, merely chuckles, unfazed by my turmoil. She occupies the seat beside me, a calm amidst my chaotic thoughts. My head shakes in disbelief as I try to persuade Lex to abandon the others at the apartment and instead embark on a quest to acquire a befitting gift for Taylor's formidable publicist.

We had just finished a photo shoot for the album promo that Taylor had come to since we were doing it in one of the empty rooms we keep in my apartment complex. I was supposed to be coming back home with Tay for some much-needed rest before filming Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, but Taylor apparently has other plans since she is springing on me that Tree is meeting us at the apartment once we get back. Joy.

I mean, we had flown to New York right after our radio interview with Capital and then gone straight to The Late Show With Stephen Colbert. Instead of being sensible adults and going home and getting some sleep, we didn't. So now I'm shattered.

We have been working nonstop since getting in trouble for posting that video. We, and by we, I mean dumb and dumber, decided to go out to a bar. Despite saying we were just going for one drink, by the end of it, the whole VIP section was full of our friends, and we were getting slightly sloshed and only just stumbling home at like five. Safe to say, Lanie was less than impressed with our hungover arses this morning at the photoshoot. So I would really love some sleep right now.

But apparently, the universe doesn't think I deserve sleep, and now I am on my way to meet quite possibly one of the scariest people on this planet. 

Obviously, I mean Tree Pane, Taylor's publicist and, therefore, someone who could explain in detail to Taylor all the reasons she shouldn't date me and all the reasons that being with me could damage her career. And I am sure there are many.

"Baby, will you please relax? It will be fine; Tree will love you. And if she doesn't, who cares?" Tay asks while I try to calm my twitching down, although her words just add to my stress. "I care!" I explain a little too loudly as my thoughts start to jumble.

"You confide in Tree about everything; you tell her everything, Tay. But you've kept me hidden," I continue, keeping my voice lower, knowing Taylor doesn't deserve for me to take my frustration out on her, but I'm unable to mask the longing in my voice. 

"She'll attribute all of this to me, and her annoyance will become my burden. Taylor, Tree ranks as like the fourth most influential figure in your life. Lucky for me, you tried to set me up with your brother. We share a good laugh about that now, so consider him on my side. Your mother, for reasons beyond my comprehension, adores me, which is another point in my favour. But your father, let's be honest, doesn't hold me in high regard. He kind of hates me. So, Tree must like me – it's crucial. If she doesn't, it'll be a fifty-fifty split. There can't be any reason for you to leave me." My words unravel, spiralling into a frenzy, my hand trembling in my lap, my arm betraying me in this storm of stress as it starts to twitch.