Chapter 4 - Present from now on

⚠️ TW- ABUSE ⚠️

"FASTER"

"HARDER"

My gymnastics coach is really challenging me tonight with all this shouting.  I'm currently on bars struggling. I'm trying to loop around it 5 times before my dismount but I'm having trouble going from my 4th rotation to my 5th. It feels too hard as if I don't have enough momentum which makes be back out of it.

Part of that might be because I'm malnourished. I'm not really at the weight I should be. I'm obviously severely underweight for a 14 year old. My ribs are clearly visible through my black and blue skin but I'm able to hide it a little with baggy jumpers.

The blame is fully on my foster parents. They say that I'm not allowed to eat as there is not enough money to feed us all. There's no money because they spend it all on drugs and alcohol. I can't complain too much though as they give me a roof over my head and food sometimes. I've got to remember that some kids have it worse than me.

I've got to be thankful as they didn't have to take me in. I know that most children aren't treated like that but I try to find the best out of things.

You may be thinking that I'm not allowed to wear my own clothes for gymnastics but I'm part of the elite squad where clothes isn't a safety hazard for us. Also I have a deal with my coach. Well it's not really a deal. After refusing to take my jumper off for years she gave up. I think it's because she cares.

I mean I have been told I have a cute baby face. It's a killer. People can hardly say no to me when I make my puppy dog eyes.

Except my foster parents. It never works on them and I don't know why. I don't use them often as I make sure I act perfect whilst in their presence. It makes them happier and they don't beat me as often.

I can't think for long as I'm pushed to my limits throughout the practice session.

The only reason I'm able to continue with my gymnastics is due to my job at the local diner. After I showcased my skills to Coach Anastasia when I first started working a year ago and could pay for lessons she took me under her wing and let me join the team. She then offered for me to teach the mini gymnasts on the weekend. That helped my funds.

It's so fun as they are all cute. It helps pay towards my future funds. I need something for when I turn 18 and am by myself. If my foster parents find this stash of money it's game over for me. It's the only thing that gives me hope to have a better life.

" You're getting better Alina. If we can just work on your momentum with weight training next session we'll be on track. You're progressing amazingly for the competition. Well done. Now are you sure you don't want a lift back? It's starting to get dark?" Coach says.

I have to hold back a squeal as she compliments me. It's a known thing within all the gymnasts that she is a very harsh but a successful coach. Compliments are almost never given.

I love compliments. I love people being proud of me.

The exception is me. I think she cares for me as it's obvious I don't have much. I'm also smaller and thinner that's the other kids no matter how hard I try to hide it. I also like to think I'm one of the hardest workers.

I refuse to not give 100% in everything I do. I'm the way I've been brought up you need to take as many opportunities as you can. The only way to get those opportunities is to try your hardest.

I politely decline Coach Anastasia's offer. I don't live far so it's not the biggest deal I don't take her ride. I feel bad when she offers. She lives on the other side of town so she would be going the wrong way to drop me home. I don't want to stress her out anymore. I can't even imagine how stressful it would be to have to teach kids all day everyday.