Chapter 21

SALVATORE'S POV

"Hey Alina. Is it ok if we have a chat?" I ask her.

She hesitantly nods in reply.

I make my way over and sit next to her on her bed and prepare myself for this conversation.

I wipe my hands in my trousers and clear my throat before starting.

She's silent as I tell her everything from our secret business that's covered up by our legal one that she's aware of.

I stop before continuing as I reach the worst part.

I tell her how I've hurt and killed bad people.

I make sure I emphasise that it's only bad people that I hurt and kill. Bad people like Emma and Jason.

I make sure to tell her that I've never killed anyone innocent and that I never will.

She's silent for a while after I finish.

"How do you know if they are innocent or not?" she whispered.

I was silent at that.

"Well it's not like we take random people off of the streets and hurt them just because we can. We wouldn't hurt or kill peoples family members in order to try and lure our enemies out. We usually have evidence around them being guilty" I reply.

"And what if you don't have that?" She asks me.

"Have what?"

"Proof. What if you confuse someone guilty up with someone innocent. And....and what if someone was drug dealing or working for some bad people because they've got a child at home that they're trying to support. And then..you kill them thinking you're doing good when actually you're not" she said all in one breath.

"Um well I've never thought of it that way" I told her truthfully.

Sure we do take some things into consideration, like people being forced into the work and such.

"Will you hurt me?" Alina asked out of nowhere.

I turn to to make eye contact with my daughter.

"Never! Please don't ever think that. I understand that you might see me as a monster but don't ever think that, please!" I urged her.

My heart can barely manage her hating me, but her thinking I'd ever hurt her; that destroyed me inside.

"I don't hate you Dad, I understand that a mafia life is dangerous and that many of the things you've done would have been to protect the business, yourself and our family" she said.

"I will accept all of this on one condition" she continued.

My heart swelled up with pride. Tears were running down my cheeks at the fact that my daughter didn't hate me.

"Yes anything, anything at all" I said happy to agree to anything for her.

"You let me see everyone you catch or bring in. I get to talk to them, with you in the room of course. I want to get to know who they are and what they've deal is to see what they actually deserve. Deal?" She asked as she stuck her hand out.

I took her hand in mine, as soon as I did I began sobbing as I held onto her.

She was truly an angel.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————

ALINA' S POV

I'm back at this hellhole way too soon.

I feel eyes on me as I walk in, as I'm the new girl to almost everyone here.