5 - The Bishop

Lian's POV 

"You don't seem willing to give up on him, Lee..."

"You can't deny he is talented. If not for the memory extraction process, he would have fooled us too. (1)"

"Indeed. That was a bonus. The bishop is such a curious chess piece...its rank is the same as the knight, below the rook...and its moves not as active. Usually, the bishop will be used to annihilate the pawns, and at some point, it can be sacrificed. But until then, it's a reliable piece for certain moves...I agree he would be a great bishop for us if he was not taken.

"Nobody minds the bishop, but...a white bishop took our queen to Thailand and spent decades hiding her...the bishop follows the queen."

"Does it?! Ha...don't be so sure...anyway...you gave Macau the black queen key, right?!"

"As you ordered."

"As Khun Kan asked...the black king to the eldest and the black queen to the youngest. This is an interesting situation though...

"Why?!"

" Following the white queen or following the black queen...at the end...don't fool yourself, White Tower...every piece always follows the king... even those who looks sanctified...like the bishop.

"You mean..."

"I mean what I say. Know exactly who you're dealing with and don't underestimate an intelligent mind..."

...

Arm's POV

When I turn to the side, I observe the delicate but fearless features of the boy lying snuggled against my right shoulder.

He sleeps peacefully.

After surprising me in the Vegas Dungeon with a rather naughty attitude, we went back to Macau's room and locked ourselves in there.

His boldness does not hide his innocence.

And that innocence makes my heart ache.

Months have passed since it all started...

Things shouldn't have evolved this way.

But they did and as hard as I try, I can't see a way out of it...without a broken heart.

...

Arm's POV - past

(The Way You Taste - Chapter 15 - Unrequited love (original lines in Italic.)

"Lower your shoulders a little..." I help Macau position his rifle. I feel his body tremble a little...I guess he is nervous with those classes. You woke up early to practice."

"Hi, Arm! I do this every day. Fighting and shooting. I want to be as good as any of my family members. Am I holding it right?"

"Mhmm. You are very committed, boy! That's it. Now shoot."

"Thanks, Arm"

"Great, right on target! You got them all right, Khun...I mean...Macau"

Macau is really talented with guns. He shoots like the rifle is part of his own body. This is natural.

"You helped me adjust my posture, thanks."

"You've chosen a high precision one. You shoot very well. This is not an easy-to-handle rifle. It's not for beginners. It requires experience.