Act 7: Part 4

Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

The girl in the hospital bed finally opened her eyes, but they were duller than before. She glanced up slightly as the door opened, revealing the doctor: her mother. As green met purple, Sakura felt shocked and worried. Her eldest child looked exactly like her husband had when his brother placed the Tsukiyomi on him at twelve. She had bags under her eyes and they lacked that spark that gave Mina personality. She had neither a frown nor a smile on her face and Sakura was slightly glad that she couldn't see any of the bandages she had placed on Mina before as the hospital gown and bed sheet covered them. She didn't like seeing her babies hurt, though she doubted any caring mother did.

"Oh, Mina." Arms immediately wrapped themselves around the girl and yet, she couldn't bring herself to recuperate the gesture, just staring blankly ahead. She felt that she didn't deserve to be comforted. When Sakura realized that Mina had not responded, she leaned back, sitting on the edge of the bed. Her worried eyes tried to meet the ones that seemed so far away.

"Mina, I-" What could she say in this situation? That she's sorry? Sorry wouldn't bring back her daughter's team and she couldn't even comprehend the feeling of losing her teammates permanently. It was a delicate situation.

"I was weak." Mina's soft, but raspy voice brought the woman out of her musings. "I just stood there and watched them die."

"It wasn't your fault, Mina." Sakura tried, but Mina was at fault- at least, in her own mind. Her fists clenched and the black-haired girl looked away, opting to stare at the sheets.

"How long has it been?" The pink-haired woman felt her lips twitch downward and she almost had to lean closer to hear the girl's quiet voice. Almost.

"Two and a half weeks." Her green eyes glanced at the nightstand filled with flowers, and cards, among other things. Mina had been visited quite a lot during the past weeks.

"I-I need to be alone." the crack in her whisper broke Sakura's heart and she hesitated to comply, but Minako was strong. She probably did just need to be alone, so the woman stood up and gave her a comforting smile.

"I'm always here if you need someone to talk to. Call me if you need anything." With that said, the room was empty.

Mina brought her hand up to touch the three-ringed necklace that sat comfortably on her collarbone as she continued to stare at the sheets. Her teeth gritted and she clenched her fists into the sheets at the self-deprecation she began to inflict upon herself.

'Weak. Pathetic. Couldn't even protect anyone. Not worthy of the family name. Weak-' As those words repeated, she hadn't noticed the red hue that filled her eyes along with that certain design, until she heard that unfamiliar voice from before.

"Minako." Her head snapped up and she could only gape like a fish at the figure that sat on the bed in front of her, displaying the most emotion she had since she woke up. A sympathetic, yet calm expression danced across his sharp features.

"W-what...I don't-" the fourteen-year-old struggled to speak, her thoughts jumbled from the overwhelming amount of things that were happening. A sad smile graced his lips and he slowly leaned forward, bringing the girl into a hug. Despite the shock, Mina still wrapped her arms around his lean form. She sniffled slightly as the tears were finally released. The emotional barrier that she had tried to place, was torn down quickly like a crack in a dam.

"P- papa, I do-don't understand." Mina stopped herself as her voice cracked, opting to shove her face into his shoulder and weep. She cried for her fallen teammates, for her own inability, and for a tragic reunion between her and her father- her birth father. Itachi hushed her lightly as he rubbed her back and ran his fingers through her long black hair that matched his own.

It felt as though a few hours had passed when Mina's sobs became sniffles, before stopping altogether. Quiet snores left her as soon as her crying had ceased and Itachi gently laid her back down, and tucked her in, before disappearing into thin air.

*********

Mina woke the next morning in a slightly better mood than the previous day. She was still sad and her eyes were still dull, but she felt a bit lighter.

'Was it a dream? Did I dream of father? ' She wondered to herself, hoping that he was real.

After eating the breakfast that her mom or a nurse brought earlier, she slowly stood up and on wobbly legs, made her way to the attached bathroom. Mina brought her face close to the mirror, keeping her hands on the sides of the sink, and focused on her reflected eyes. As soon as chakra began to flow to them, the three black tomoe appeared. She forced more chakra in and was awed at the way the tomoes began to reshape themselves. An almost rose-like shape stared back at her and there he was. Mina stared for a few moments before turning around and watching in disbelief as he didn't disappear. 

The man that had died fourteen years prior stood in front of her looking alive and well, leaning in the doorway. She furrowed her eyebrows as she glanced up at him, he had at least six extra inches over her. She recalled the picture she had seen from his page of the bingo book and took note of his older appearance and smile. It was so kind and caring that she almost felt that it was for someone else, but no. It was all for her.

"Papa, I- I don't even know what to say. Are you real?" she breathed out as she settled back into the hospital bed, wincing slightly as the bandage that was wrapped around her torso rubbed the healing wound. She relished in the chuckle he gave and the semi-deep voice that followed.

"It appears to be an ability of your new Mangekyou Sharingan. An ability I've never seen, but I am here. I believe I'm still dead though. Even so," Itachi cupped her cheeks in his hands and focused his warm onyx eyes on her soft features that so resembled his late wife as well as himself. "I'm glad I can see you in person, my beautiful daughter." She closed her eyes as he ran his thumb over her cheeks in such a soothing way. It felt as though all the sadness had disappeared, replaced with the warmth of her father.

Author-chan's Fun Fact: Mina only has this as her ability that comes with her Mangekyou because she would be too OP if she had a second power in her other eye. 

A/N: Hello my darling readers! I hope you enjoyed this chapter! I think it may be one of my favorites. Whatcha ya think of the first glimpse of Mina's ability? Anywayyy please vote, add this story to your library, and comment! It would be much appreciated :3 Have a wonderful Tuesday! 

- Lily <3

Q: Would you want to be a shinobi, rogue shinobi, or a citizen if you lived in Konoha?

A: I want to say Shinobi cuz then I'd have a better chance of survival during the Pain attack, but I think I'd prefer to be a citizen... I'd be the first to die if I was a shinobi 😅

Published: 07/11/2023

Word Count: 1,238