Chapter 1 - Grace

Dear Reader,

There has been some confusion, so let me explain something before you start reading.

A wolf leader is called an Alpha in just about every book I've ever read in this genre. In this story (and future stories in this world), this is not the case. Alpha is just a rank.

The leader is called a Blood Alpha. They can be male or female. Their mates are called Luna or Lunus, depending on gender.

All chapters are from the POV of the name in the chapter title. The picture is of their wolf.

I have written a guide for this world. Hopefully, you won't need it, as I do explain as I go, but it's there if you have questions.

Thank you for reading!

--April Jester

********

Please note here if you are a First Time Reader or Re-Reader.

The Moon Goddess shed a tear as she watched another innocent die such a horrible death at the hands of the evil ones.

However, her spirits rose at the pure joy she felt blooming within her as the Mahani wolves were in the middle of a mating ceremony. This was one of the few werewolf packs that had no evil souls. They cared deeply for all the people on their seven islands, wolves and humans alike.

She watched the caring wolves for a bit longer, reveling in their love for their fellow man.

She returned her gaze to the young wolf killed by her Blood Alpha during her first shift. She was an Omega - intelligent and loyal. She was also his son's mate. The Blood Alpha wanted better for his son. He took the poor girl's innocence before beating her to death.

A plan formed as the Moon Goddess turned back to the Mahani Islands. Her people needed a champion to protect them from these evil, corrupted beings - wolves and humans. All it would take is a little magic and some wolves with big hearts. She had plenty of both.

And so it begins...

*******

5000 years later...

"Delta Four to Alpha Three. You are clear to leave. All of the leaders are in custody."

"Understood, Delta Four. How many children did we liberate?"

"Sixteen. Two are Mahani. That's more than we were told were here. It's a good day."

While that last statement on the group link may be up for debate, I knew what she meant. My best friend was overjoyed when we saved children from these slavery rings. For me, it was too close to home.

Mahani children have been stolen and hunted for thousands of years. When the Moon Goddess made the Mahani the guardians of the wolves being abused or killed, it made our children targets. A Mahani child is worth millions on the black market. While modern technology gives us more resources to find the people who need us, it also creates a way to check a child's DNA for Mahani genes.

A descendant of a Mahani that left us is an easy target for these monsters. While we chip Mahani-born children with trackers at birth, the descendants don't have that protection. It is uncommon for a child to be born a Mahani several generations after leaving us, but it does happen.

I'm living proof of that.

Not being able to tap into the Mahani powers until one comes of age is also a considerable downside. These children can't defend themselves or have their wolf cry out to us, letting us know of the abuse and need for help. It didn't take long for the abusers to learn this little fact either, so they tend to kill the children on their thirteenth birthday, knowing their wolf would emerge sometime during that year.