Chapter 58 - Victoria

My body is starting to ache everywhere, which tells me it's time to stop my workout. Glancing at the clock, I realize I've been at this for several hours. I had started slow as my emotions needed an outlet from the day's events. I pushed until it became one of my more strenuous types, but now that I'm hurting, it's time to walk it off.

I motion to the two guards stationed at the door, and we all leave the training building together.

"One full lap," I say with a confidence I don't feel. The others stay a step behind me as I go into a light jog that will wrap around the cleared land. It's about two kilometers, which isn't much, but it will slow my body down and end the workout.

I still have a good amount to sort through in my head and heart. The guilt I felt that day over what happened to Kayla had set my life on an unforeseen path.

Those Alphas were chasing me when she grabbed the dead body and yelled out that she needed a medic for an alive Omega. All the Alphas turned and ran after her. She ran into a big meeting room with a door on each side, thinking she would toss the body to the side, and while they went after it, she would escape and lock down both doors.

It didn't work out that way. She couldn't get out because the far door was already locked down. She didn't make it back to the other door. I was told she yelled out to the others to lock it down after they grabbed her.

Two omegas and four of the Alphas involved were from my pack. One Alpha stayed and is still here. Two became Lone Wolves and left. The last one committed suicide as his twin was one of the Omegas. While the Alphas had no memories of what happened, they saw the aftermath. It was enough to cause severe damage to the minds of everyone involved.

My own life changed dramatically that day. I no longer wanted to focus solely on my studies of human and wolf histories. I became a warrior that could defend myself and others. My strength and Gamma skills are now used to defend the pack.

When I went through testing after finishing school, it showed me being a writer or librarian. Now, I am the head female warrior, beating out several Alphas for the position.

All these changes because of the guilt of knowing your friend lost everything to save you. Everything.

After talking to Diana, I checked a few good sources and discovered that what she said was the truth. Kayla is mated with children. It took a couple of weeks, but I decided to finally send her the apology note I had written years ago but could never bring myself to send. Instead, I had put the letter in the corner of my mirror as a reminder to do my best every day.

A one-page letter written eight years ago caused another vast change. My scent had saturated it over the years and was picked up by my mate.

I had never left Montross land after returning from camp. I refused to look for my mate since Kayla couldn't have hers. Even though it was my guilt talking, I readily agreed to it. My wolf was unhappy with that decision, but she understood.

Now, I find out that Kayla never blamed me and thought I cut her off because of what happened to her. She never regretted her spontaneous action, only that she got caught. She wants to renew our friendship, and with my mate in her pack, I would live there--unless it's an Omega, of course, then we would stay here. Either way, she is a fifteen-minute run from my house to her castle. I will make all the time she wants. I've missed our friendship.

It's getting dark, and I scan the woods but see no one. The Blood Alpha put guards on me, saying he wanted to ensure I didn't run away from my mating and knew I had a lot to work through tonight. He was right, and I'm not on my game. My emotional upheaval is causing havoc.

I knew I would never reject him if I ever came across my mate. It's not his fault I feel this need to self-punish. I wouldn't hurt him in such a fashion. So what do I do now? My Gamma training kicks in, and I know the answer.

I let go of the guilt. I take a deep breath and do just that. Since I've been working through this since Kayla's phone call late this afternoon, it's easier than I thought.

Meet my mate. I'm confident I can be a good mate and provider for any rank. My wolf is thrilled about this. She is getting her mate.

Strive to be happy. This one is the hardest. I have a hard time with being happy. The guilt prevented this. Now that it's let go, it should happen naturally, right? As a few tons of weight lifted off my body, my mind recognized my strength, and I realized the truth.

I can do that.

*******

Usually, the mate meet is where the she-wolf lives, but I was told that since our land meets, we would do it on Sinclair land.

My instincts tell me I'm not being told the entire truth, but I'm letting it go. Too much has happened in the past twenty-four hours for me to worry over something that slight.

I've had my shower and have only female guards around me as we drive to the border.

Our land borders with three packs and the ocean. I was surprised when we arrived to smell multiple Blood Alphas and Lunas. That didn't make sense. Why would they be here?

I could only come up with one plausible reason, but that was not possible...

I looked at the structure covered in plastic. I could see his outline but not his features. He was bigger than me. Much bigger. Definitely a warrior Alpha or Beta. Or he could be...

My Blood Alpha interrupted my thoughts by giving me a little push towards the structure, and I knew I couldn't run, even if I wanted to.

Wait. Do I want to run?

No. I want to meet him.

As I get closer, I can see him better. He's watching me with a singular focus you usually only see in battle. He points to what must be the doorway, and I head towards it.

My hands are shaking as I enter, taking a deep breath.

Oh, my Goddess.

He's a Blood Alpha.

So many emotions hit me simultaneously. Pride at how the Moon Goddess felt I could be mated to such a person. Fear that after everything, I would be rejected. Joy is the almost overwhelming feeling coming from my wolf.

When he says nothing and doesn't approach me, the fear starts to overpower the others. After everything that has happened, I'm going to be rejected.

While my Gamma intuition tells me that isn't the case, I can't see past the fear and speak my mind.

"My name is Victoria Innes. If you're going to reject me, do it." It was a bold move, but I just wanted it done. I know my voice was firm, and I have my hands behind my back, in a warrior pose, so he can't see them shaking.

He takes a step closer as he speaks for the first time.

"I have no intention of rejecting you, Victoria." His voice was smooth, and I had to close my eyes briefly to relish the sound before his words penetrated and my eyes popped open.

He's not rejecting me.

My wolf pushed until I allowed her to see through my eyes. He did the same, and I took another step closer, breathing in his scent.

He raised his hand, silently asking for mine. My body released the pose without my permission, and I reached out.

Before I could stop myself, our hands touched, and the tingles shot up my arm to my heart. If my wolf could purr, she would be doing that right now.

"I, Alexander Sinclair, accept you, Victoria Innes, as my fated mate." He said as he held my hand.

My wolf had a surge of joy, then tried to push forward, begging me to accept her mate. Our mate.

"I, Victoria Innes, accept you, Alexander Sinclair, as my fated mate."

As he pulled me closer so we could kiss, sealing the bond, a shout sounded, and we turned at a male's voice.

"Sound the alarm! The entire Sands pack is attacking!"

*******

Oh, come now. You knew it was coming. --April