Chapter 49 - Holly

I can't take my eyes off this handsome man sitting beside me. We are at Luna Lily's table, having dinner with Grace, Lachlan, and Doc. The Blood Alpha and Leah were on a mission, and Daniel was working at the hospital for rejected mates.

Grace is seated between Lachlan and me. Usually, I would feed her, along with whoever was on her other side, but Lachlan wanted to do it all, so I let him.

"So I heard that you two are getting pretty close," Luna said in an asking tone.

"Yes. We are." Evan had a massive smile on his face as he looked at me. I couldn't help but smile back. "My wolf and I may be a bit infatuated with Holly." He took my hand and brought it to his mouth for a light kiss. My insides melted, and my wolf preened.

"Well, you both have some decisions to make." Luna Lily said seriously. "If you choose to become mates, you can stay here or go to TALE. It would also allow you to become a Mahani, Evan."

"Would you leave us, Holly? Or would you work from there?" Doc asked with a frown. She knew that Evan had already turned down becoming a Mahani. It's not for everyone.

"Evan and I haven't talked about it yet." I hedged. I have no plans to leave the Mahani, and I pray it isn't a deal-breaker with Evan.

"I would never ask that of Holly." As he said that, he turned to me. "Is it possible for us to move to TALE, and you work from there?" I could hear the hope in his voice, and my smile couldn't get any bigger.

"I can work from anywhere. I would just need a temperature-controlled room and my computers." My focus was suddenly solely on him. The others disappeared from my vision.

"I could arrange that." He rallied his courage and faced me fully. "If I get accepted into TALE, will you come with me as my chosen mate?" His worry over my answer was evident on his face.

"Yes."

My one-word answer got cheers across the table, and Grace leaned over and hugged me.

Evan hugged me too, when Grace finally let go, her mate pulling her back. She jumped around in her seat so much that he moved her to his lap.

"We can do the choice acceptance and moon ceremony before you leave. Now, onto others." She looked directly at my best friend. "You will be separated tomorrow so you can train, and Lachlan can start the Alpha command process." Her words had that 'don't you argue with me' tone. I waited for the fallout anyway.

"But Mom!"

"Nope. Be good, Grace, or I'll put you on dish duty." She hated doing the dishes. She prefers to cook. She usually plays after dinner, and it would cut into that time. I watched Grace start sulking until her mate leaned down and kissed her nose. She giggled.

"Doc, did you finish that paper for the university yet? You had all day to work on it." Her sights were now on Doc, who looked like a dear caught in headlights.

"Um. No. I didn't work on it today." Her squirming told me she did something she wasn't supposed to do.

"Talk. What mischief did you get into?" Her mother asked as she put her fork down and pushed her plate away. We have all learned to be prepared for anything regarding Doc.

"I may have spent the day looking into the Kincaid pack." She said softly while looking at her plate.

"Did your intuition tell you to do that?" The Luna had everyone's attention. Intuition is a big thing for us.

"No. My wolf did. She liked his voice on the phone." Her voice was now a whisper.

Luna Lily didn't respond at first. She seemed deep in thought. "Did you find anything interesting?"

"His pack is remote, and there wasn't much on him, so I may have video-called him to update him on the situation he alerted us to." She was trying to play this off, but it's not how we do things. The update would only be given if requested; even then, it's via email. Oh, Goddess, she is in trouble.

"And after, I may have contacted Blood Alpha Henon to ask permission to look at their files on the pack and its Blood Alpha," Doc said shakily. She knew it was all wrong but did it anyway.

"What were you thinking?!" Luna Lily was stunned. Even with the pranks she pulled, Doc never went against the procedures we followed. I was stunned myself.

"I..." Doc was not trying to defend her actions, which was unlike her.

"Does your wolf like him? Like a choice mate?" Grace asked, reaching across the table to take her sister's hand.

"She's never reacted to a male before like this. Maybe?" Doc admitted.

"Let's table this for now. We will discuss this with your father tomorrow." The Luna stood and started clearing plates. Doc got up to help, and so did I.

"Holly, why don't you and Evan head out? You have much to discuss. Doc can clean up tonight." I knew an order when I heard one. "Lachlan, you and Grace can stay at her house. Her toys are there, and I'm sure she wants some playtime before bed."

The Luna was dismissing everyone. We all thanked her for the meal and left. Evan held my hand as we walked back to my home.

"I was thinking," he started. "If I don't get into TALE, maybe my darling Delta mate could help me open a store?"

"Sure! What kind of store are you thinking?"

"I'm an Alpha warrior. What do you think I know enough about to be able to sell it to others?" His smile held my attention as I tried to focus on the question. I looked down at our entwined hands as I thought for a moment. The answer was easy, actually.

"Weapons."

*******

Well, what else would a warrior know? -- April