Chapter 18 - Holly

I know my best friend, Grace, was having a rough time after the children were rescued and Nicolas was kidnapped. The children bring up bad memories, and as much as she complains about him, I still know she considers Nicolas a dear friend.

When we were younger, Grace shared some of her memories with me before we came of age. Most were beyond anything I could imagine. I get so excited when we liberate children from these sex rings. I know some of what they've been through.

Thinking back on my life, there is only one bad part, but it affected everything -- the loss of my little sister, Noelle.

The neighboring pack thought we were a lone wolf family. They asked if we wanted to join their pack, and we politely declined. They didn't know we were Mahani, as we tend to hide in plain sight.

The son of a Beta found out he didn't have a mate when his wolf emerged at 13, just as I did. Afterward, he would follow me around and try to talk to me, telling me that his wolf liked me. I wasn't interested and tried telling him nicely, but he didn't listen.

The week I turned 18, he brought some friends and ambushed me in the woods beside our house. Noelle heard me scream through our mindlink and came running. She fought along side of me but there were just too many of them. Two of his friends threw her off a cliff while I watched in horror.

They were tearing at my clothes as my mind started to shut down. Suddenly, a Mahani portal opened, and several Alphas and Betas came through and stopped them from raping me.

The boy tried to say I was a tease as I had no fated mate. It didn't matter though. He and his friends were sentenced to death for killing a Mahani. We moved the next day. I felt like I had lost everything at once. My family was devastated.

Noelle had a mate, and I know he felt the pain of losing her. I wish she had been out somewhere instead of hanging around the house that day. I want to go back to that moment and tell her to get help instead, but I can't.

My work now is behind a computer. I gather information and work well as a handler for whatever Alpha is in charge of a mission. I can find any information you need.

Like all Elementals, Grace is a prodigy. Her field of expertise is computer coding. She is considered one of the best hackers in the world. Her ease at creating any program I need amazes me.

After work, I pack an overnight bag and head to my best friend's house. Video games and milkshakes are what she needs to relax now that Nicolas and his mate have picked up the kids.

I'm also curious what mischief Doc taught them to pull on Nicolas!

When I arrive, Doc and Grace are sitting in her living room, drinking tea and looking glum.

"What's going on?" I ask out loud.

"Come sit." Grace pats the seat beside her and hugs me as I sit down.

"I have to tell you something you are not going to like. Just bear with me, okay?" Her voice shows her anxiety and I'm suddenly on edge. This isn't a Doc prank.

"Okay," I said automatically as my brain rushes through the last few hours, but I can't see anything that would bring this on, so I stay quiet.

"Okay. You see, Kayla -- Nicolas' mate, has two brothers that also have Mahani mates." I didn't know that. It wasn't in the Blood Alpha's report. I wonder why. "We know who one was mated to but not the other. The youngest, Keith, was mated to Noelle." She said sadly. "But listen, it's a great pack, and they want to meet you."

My breath was stolen from me at the mention of my sister's mate, but I couldn't figure out why, in the Goddess' name, they would want to meet me. My puzzlement must have been apparent on my face.

"I don't think I'm explaining this right." She looked to Doc.

"Just as Noelle went over the cliff, she yelled your name, Holly. He heard it and knew she died trying to protect you. They have prayed to the Moon Goddess that you survived. They now know you did live and want to meet you." She said.

"But why?" I cried out. "She's dead because of me!"

My thoughts were jumbled, and my wolf cried out as she could feel my pain.

"Holly," Doc started, "we are Mahani. We are designed to protect others, even if we die doing it. Your sister would have run toward anyone screaming. It just happened to be you. This was not your fault, and you know this! You've had five years of therapy but still don't have closure. Maybe meeting her mate can give you some."

Yes, I knew it wasn't my fault. I didn't ask to be gang raped by him and his friends. That decision was theirs. It still won't bring back my sister, though. I would take the abuse if it would bring her back.

"What do they want from me?" I thought aloud.

"I'm not sure," Grace said. "They just want reassurance that she died for a good cause. And you are a good cause. Look at all the people and children your work saves every day."

I thought about that. Kayla is an Alpha, and she accepted not only a Gamma as her mate but a Mahani Gamma. He had two full strikes against him, and she wanted to meet him anyway.

"Do they know anything about me?" I asked.

"Only that you are her sister, and you survived the attack. Nicolas couldn't say anything else without your permission." Grace said.

He lost his fated mate. He deserves some answers. I can give him that much.

"Nicolas has my permission to tell them about me, but I'm not ready to meet them."

"Yet," Doc stated without question.

"Okay, Doc. Not yet."

*******

Please vote and comment! I would love to hear your thoughts.
--April