Chapter 3 - Kayla

Breakfast is done and cleaned up, while lunch and dinner are started. The maids have been given their chores, and the castle is set for the day.

I have about an hour to relax before jumping in to help. Just because I'm an Alpha does not mean I sit back and watch. I like to keep busy. I NEED to stay busy.

My brain goes in circles, as it always does. Why did my life turn out like this? What did I do wrong that the Moon Goddess allowed this to happen? Because of an Alpha she-wolf's actions of vengeance against an Omega, many died, and others had their lives shattered.

Me included.

I can never have children, and I'm sure my mate felt what happened to me. If I ever meet him, he is sure to reject me. It's one of the reasons I always stay in my pack lands. I don't want to meet him.

It hurts to see the wolves coming of age, so excited to meet their mate. My cousin, the Blood Alpha, has stopped asking me to help the young ones. He can feel my pain.

I stare at the beautiful blue sky and head to the coffee café in our little town for a much-needed comfort drink. I'm a few steps away when my wolf starts to go crazy. I stop and lean against a wall while taking a few deep breaths.

When we come of age, my pack teaches us how to prevent our wolves from taking over and shifting. This skill saved my life once upon a time. I used it now as she desperately wanted out so we could find our mate. He was in danger. My heart hurt so badly, but I don't know who or where he is. There wasn't anything I could do for him. I may not want to meet him, but I don't want him hurt.

I fought for control as she wouldn't let up. After a few minutes, my head hurt as bad as my heart. I start to slide down to my knees just as the most horrible pain hits me. My scream and my wolf's howl come out of my mouth simultaneously. I know what is happening as I lived through this nightmare already. He is losing his innocence without his consent. The tears stream down my face as I yell my anguish. My fellow pack members surround me, and someone is holding me as I sob my torment, but I don't know who. My wolf is no longer fighting for control, just releasing her own loud cries.

I would never wish this on my worst enemy, and it was happening to my mate. Just as I thought I couldn't handle more, my heart skipped a beat, a pain I never wanted to feel again, as my entire body shut down.

That monster just marked my mate.

Over the next hour, I drift in and out of consciousness. Alexander, my Blood Alpha, brought me to the couch in his office. I'm gripping his hand tightly while he links me with emotions of peace and assures me he will do whatever is necessary to help my mate. It's not helping.

"I don't understand how, but I still feel the mate bond. Why didn't it break? I felt him being marked by someone else!"

"Are you sure it didn't break? Maybe you are part of a triad and your feeling the second bond?" He asked quietly. Our pack is considered a progressive one as we accept all types of mates.

"I'm sure. I felt the pain, but the bond never wavered." I assured him.

"Then I don't understand it either, Kayla. I'm going to call my contact within the Mahani. Hopefully, they can help." Alex said.

He put his phone on speaker after he dialed.

"This is Mahani Delta Nine. How may I help you?"

"This is Blood Alpha Sinclair. My cousin felt her unknown mate being raped and marked about an hour ago, but the mate bond is still there. How is this possible, and what can I do for my cousin?" I thought his question was a little too direct even though I knew from experience to give straightforward statements to the Mahani. 

The Delta paused before answering, "Can you give me an exact time?"

Alex looked at me as he answered, "About 9:05."

"Please hold."

Alex and I looked at each other in silence. I had a feeling I wouldn't like the answer to his questions.

"Hello, Alex."

My heart sped up at the amount of power I could feel in this person's voice. Whoever he is, he's a formidable Alpha. Wait. Did he just call him Alex?

"Good day to you, Sam. I'm concerned that my questions were routed to you."

"I'm always available to my fellow Blood Alphas."

Fellow Blood Alphas?! My wolf whined within me. We were speaking to one of the seven Blood Alphas of the Mahani. I feel sick. This can't be good.

"May I ask who the she-wolf is who felt this?"

"My cousin, Kayla."

There was a delay before he spoke again.

"May I have permission to enter your land? We need a face-to-face conversation."

Alex took a moment before answering. I could tell he was calming his wolf.

"Of course. When should we expect you?"

"Give me about 30 minutes. I'll arrive on your front lawn."

"See you then."

The call disconnected as my wolf voiced her whine aloud.

"I know. My wolf objects to his presence, too. Breathe, Kayla. We need answers."

Alex hugged me, rubbing my back. We stayed that way for a few minutes until my brothers came in, my parents just a step behind.

"What happened?" My mom quietly said as she sat on my other side.

"Her mate was raped and marked," Alex whispered.

Tears slid down my mother's face as she leaned in to hug me from behind. I felt so loved but so scared.

"Blood Alpha Cooper is arriving in about 20 minutes. Lachlan, clear the front lawn."

My oldest brother, Beta, and second in command, just stared at our Blood Alpha. They were all dumbfounded at this turn of events.

"Why is he coming here?" My father asked.

"I have no idea. He said we needed to talk."

*******

What do you think so far?
--April