Chapter 40 - Sam

AN: Grace's little age is three in wolf years, equal to 5-6 in humans.

*******

I was concerned when I ended the video call, as Alex was less than thrilled. Grace wanted constant updates over the next few hours, making me crazy.

The following morning, Blood Alpha Sinclair sent me a file asking me to find the mate of one of his pack members. Usually, this request would be automatically denied, but given the timing, I felt I knew why.

And best of all, it gave Grace something to do.

It took her two days to narrow down possible mates, but eventually, on the morning of day three, she was sure she had the right one.

I contacted the Blood Alpha of that pack and asked if his younger brother was interested in a Mate Meet with an Alpha she-wolf from the Sinclair pack. They were a two-day drive away but had access to a helicopter, as this was a rich pack. His Alpha brother was eager, and I set it up for later that same day.

It was one of the easiest ones we've done. Once the two accepted each other, shouts and applause could be heard from both families. With hers having an Elder on the Council and his being one of the wealthier packs, the families were thrilled with the match.

"All clear now?" I finally asked Alex when he shook my hand.

"Yes. You can set up the Mate Meet, but he wants to attend Kayla's ceremony tomorrow."

"We can do it at daybreak; this way, she can go too," I responded.

I immediately mindlinked my lovely wife, who would set it up with help from the three girls. Added to their work for the ceremony, it will keep everyone busy.

"So, who is Lachlan's mate?" The Council Elder asks softly after Alex and I finish our handshake.

I glanced over his shoulder at Lachlan, who was fingering the plaid he was wearing, releasing Grace's scent in the air without thought.

"I won't tell. I figure it's a Mahani, and getting my granddaughter off his back became a priority." The Elder said as he looked over at the happy couple.

"It's Grace," I mumbled, shocking the Elder, who was one of the Council members who raided the Dommer pack. Grace's fate and Little status are well-known throughout the Council. However, her puppy is not. Because she is a made Little, they allowed her to stay with the Mahani. Made Littles are rare, and most are suicidal. 

All noticed the growl that left his throat. Lachlan, as well as the Elder's mate, came rushing over. The Elder took his mate in his arms, putting his nose to her neck and breathing deeply before turning his gaze to Lachlan.

"I will personally remove your head from your shoulders, Beta, if she gets hurt in your care." His words were mixed with his wolf's, making the threat all the more real.

"You have my word, Elder. I will take good care of her," sincerity evident to any who could hear.

The man nodded and pulled his mate back to his family. I took that as my cue to leave and did just that.

*******

The night sky was changing to a light blue, and dawn was fast approaching. Grace had been sent to bed early, but I doubt she got much sleep. Seven Alpha rings were open, and my people surrounded us. The Sinclairs were also there in mass, outnumbering us five to one. Lights were strung up through the various trees, and the place looked fairy-like.

I also noticed Melissa and her mate standing to the side, watching the structure that Lachlan was pacing in. He looked like he hadn't slept much, either.

Since the ceremony for Nicolas and Kayla is not until this evening, they both can nap together, hopefully, if they can calm down.

"Are we ready?" I asked Blood Alpha Sinclair even though it wasn't officially daybreak yet.

His nod was what I was waiting for. After Kayla's forced shift at her Mate Meet, he had commanded Lachlan not to shift, just to be safe. We walked closer to the structure, and I opened an Alpha ring.

Grace came walking through, holding tight to Doc with one hand, the other holding Charlie. I bent down on one knee in front of her.

"You will not shift until told you can." The Alpha command rang through as her eyes turned red, then back to her normal green color.

She nodded, then turned her head toward the makeshift room. She hugged Doc briefly, then took off for the structure, Charlie dangling from her hand.

The gasps and awes rang through the clearing. Her red hair was loosely braided on either side of her head. She wore a short skirt with tights underneath and a polo with a pan collar. A small green pack that matched her plaid outfit was snuggly strapped onto her back. Her Little status is apparent to everyone watching.

Leah and I watched through her eyes as she went straight to him and jumped into his arms.

He didn't waste any time.

"I, Lachlan Sinclair, accept you--"

"Grace Cooper," she squeaked.

"Grace Cooper, as my fated mate." He finished.

"I, Grace Cooper, accept you, Lachlan Sinclair, as my fated mate!" Her voice rose until she was yelling at the end. Then my darling little girl did something shocking.

She grabbed his face and kissed him. I felt the mate bond wave through the air and her mind. The love pouring through the mate bond was amazing to feel. I couldn't be happier for my little one. When the kiss ended, I felt her pull her Little back, exiting subspace, and she spoke from her heart.

"I am concerned you will grow to hate me. I will do my best to keep my Little side in line." Her voice shows her actual age and her fear.

"Sweetheart, I want you to be comfortable always. I will love both sides of you equally. I expect your Little to have moments of stress and frustration, just as your adult will. Please don't hold back for me. We will find our happy place together."

I inwardly chuckled at his choice of words. Nicolas has spent the last two days with Lachlan, reviewing her schedules, triggers, and such. 'Happy place' is one of his terms. I could feel the joy coming off them through their mate bond. But now, it's time for her to meet the pack. I know she doesn't like to be the center of attention, but she should be okay with him to hold on to.

"Time to come out," I called from the other side of the flap.

"Can we put Charlie in my bag? I don't want him getting lost." She requested.

He put her down and kneeled in front of her as she took her small bag strapped to her back and zipped her bear's body inside, head sticking out.

"What else is in here? It seems heavy." Her new mate asked.

"Weapons and juice boxes."

"Weapons?" His face was a mixture of concern and disapproval.

"We aren't allowed anywhere without weapons," she smiled at him. "Don't worry. My Little is trained to handle them and would only use them if a life is at stake." She assured him, but he didn't look happy as she strapped the bag back on.

Lachlan put his arm around her tiny frame and then seemed to think twice as he looked at the people outside.

"Can I carry you?" I could feel her stress and his protective feelings through the bond.

"I would love that." She said, holding her arms up. He picked her up, and her legs straddled his waist as she put her nose in his neck.

As they exited, I stopped them. "How about we put Charlie completely inside so no other scents get on him?" I suggested, knowing this could be an issue later. It will be fine once she learns the pack and all the new smells.

"Okay." She answered. After I had him completely tucked away, I moved and let them walk over to her new in-laws.

*******

Cuteness overload.
--April