Chapter 32 - Evan

My trip back to the Mahani was uneventful, thank the Goddess. When I returned, Doc seemed out of sorts and unhappy, but she still set up an appointment with Blood Alpha Cooper for tonight. When the moon is just breaking the horizon, his power is at its peak, so he won't feel the strain of changing my wolf, even when it's not a full moon.

Within minutes of my arrival, Luna Lily sent a message to the guest house I was staying in, stating that she needed to see me at the infirmary.

"Amanda is gone, so I wonder what's going on," I thought out loud as I hurried over. It's only around the corner, as all guest cottages are by the infirmary. Most people visiting are here for a loved one rescued or injured.

Upon arriving, I'm ushered into a meeting room with a dozen chairs around a rectangular table. The walls are a soft blue, just like the rest of the med wards. A vast screen takes up most of the far wall, obviously for teleconferencing as there were currently three people on the screen, and the Luna was standing at the head of the table, facing them. While I couldn't see her face, as her back was to me, I could see the ones on the screen. No one was happy.

"Now that we know which packs were affected by that bastard, will the Council do anything? I'm getting close to killing him myself!" An angry, dark-haired woman shouted.

"I've put that topic in someone else's hands. Right now, my focus is on fixing this. Please bear with me as we get this mess straightened out." Luna Lily stated firmly, her voice showing her strain.

"What about the Montross pack? You have no power there." An older, graying male asked with interest. My eyes glued on the screen at the mention of my old pack. My mother and friends are still there.

"I hope you have a plan, Lily. My daughter is devasted, and her mate is from the Montross pack," the final participant, a middle-aged woman with black hair, said aggressively.

"I do, actually. I need more information. Give me a few days, please. We will reconvene at that time if I don't update you sooner."

Luna Lily was dismissing them. I could feel the power in their voices and knew each was either a Blood Alpha or a Luna.

Each said goodbye, and one by one, the windows closed. Luna Lily leaned down and put her hands on the table, her head bent, as she took a slight breather before turning to me.

"Welcome back, Evan. I'm sorry that I may have to put you to work. If you are okay with it, I'd like to ask you some questions regarding your old pack." She motioned to the chair on her right as a she-wolf was already sitting on her left. While I had noticed the other wolf upon entering, the yelling from the screen had pulled my attention.

My wolf seemed to focus on the blond-haired girl, and while I knew that the Mahani would never harm me, I had to wonder if I was in danger, as that was the only thing that ever caught his attention.

"Evan, this is Delta Four. If you don't mind, I will let her update you on this mess while I check on my daughter." While the Luna said it with a questioning voice, I knew it was an order. Since my trust in her is absolute, I nodded, then stood in front of the chair she indicated until she left the room.

Delta Four seemed to fidget in her chair as I sat down before she began talking.

"Blood Alpha Sands," she said and got a growl from my wolf. She nodded her head in agreement before continuing. "He targeted wolves that had just 'come of age' in each of the four packs involved in the death of his daughter. This was done within months after the massacre. He caught each one in a public place, and they were given a series of Alpha commands. Sometimes, it was a whole group of young wolves. The central order given was to reject their mate. The other commands were to cover up what he did. 

"The poor wolves involved don't remember meeting him or being given the commands. When one developed rejection sickness, we got him here and had our Blood Alpha go through his memory to find and dissolve the commands. We are just finding out now because of the influx of rejections as these wolves are now at an age where they are meeting their mates." 

I took several deep breaths while trying to get my wolf under control. He wanted to shift and hunt that Blood Alpha down. My hands were balled up on the table, and a steady growl left my mouth. I wasn't sure if the growl was from my wolf or me. 

Once I'm declared a lone wolf, all previous Alpha commands will be gone, and I can go after him. He really needs a good killing, and I would be happy to do it. 

"How can I help?" My voice sounded rough as I was still getting my temper under control.

"We know of three rejections so far from your old pack. The Beta Second-in-Command's son rejected his mate several days ago. According to the school's website, from their final year, his close friends were the other two that occurred within the last month. It seems strange they all rejected their mates, especially since one was a Blood Alpha's daughter." She seemed to hesitate for a moment before finishing her thought. "First, we need to find out if they are showing signs of rejection sickness or if they rejected them for another reason."

"If you are talking about Andy and Bruce, I remember my mom telling me that their parents didn't understand why they did it and that while Bruce was tearing his room to shreds, Andy would not get out of bed for a week." My information was secondhand as I did not know these wolves well, but I'm sure it's accurate. "So, Theo rejected his mate too?"

Delta Four nodded as she let out a big sigh. "We need to find a way to help them."

"But, it's too late. We can see if we can get one away from the pack to see if anyone else in the group hasn't rejected their mate yet. But for the ones who did, the bond is broken." I said to her angrily. One day soon, I will remove his head from his body just like they did to his daughter.

"We can fix it if they did not want to reject their mates but were forced to," she replied as she leaned forward. It took me a moment to realize why my wolf was so focused on her. He likes her scent. My anger left me as I was not even sure how to react to that. My wolf has growled at any female that has ever come near us before and after we met Megan. I tried to pinpoint what in her smell had his attention when she continued talking. "We haven't had any dealings with your old pack in several generations, so we are at a loss. Any ideas?"

"I have several."

*******

Of course, he does. I sense a romance blossoming!

--April

Now uploading a new chapter every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday!

Update: Story is complete as of Dec 2023!