Chapter 31 - Grace

When I awoke from the sleep forced on me by Blood Alpha Kelly, I looked around at the female members of my family as I took in the smells of my childhood room.

Doc and Holly sat on the floor, leaning against the wall beside my white daybed. Leah was sitting cross-legged on my cedar chest on the far wall facing me. My mom was sitting on my other side in my green rocker chair. Someone must have brought that over from my house.

The scent coming off the blanket wasn't any I smelled before, but instead of repelling me as new scents usually did, I couldn't get enough of it. My wolf and I wanted to rap ourselves up like a burrito.

"How are you feeling?" My mom asked as everyone focused on me. This is not a new feeling, and to be honest, I don't like being the center of attention. The anxiety it causes can be painful as it brings back memories.

I felt myself starting to cry and mentally put my Little side away. I need to face what has happened and force myself to get through this. I am a Mahani, and we are strong!

"You were right about the brother," I said to Doc as I turned my head to face her. She just smiled as she nodded. The smile wasn't a real one, though. I know the difference.

"I need some information, Grace," Leah said as she stood and walked to the bottom of my bed. When she went to reach out to touch me, my wolf growled at her.

She doesn't want anyone near the blanket. It must be his, my mate. Lachlan Sinclair. Kayla talked about her brothers while I was helping them pack. I knew his name, which is against the rules.

And Kayla knows my name. Oh no.

"Grace, are you paying attention?"

"Sorry, yeah. What questions?" I tried to focus on Leah, but it was hard. Too much was happening, and too many thoughts were fighting for my attention.

"Before we proceed, do you want him as your fated mate? He wants you, but what do you want?" She tried to state plainly as if asking what I wanted for dinner, but I could hear the slight tremble in her voice and feel her stress through our bond.

I thought hard about her question. My wolf quickly voiced her desire for her mate, but I was scared. Would he hate me eventually? I was powerful, one of the elite. I was also short and acted like a child.

I opened my mind and let them all see my feelings. My worries included what would happen if he abused me.

"We would know and get you out instantly!" My mom exclaimed as she stood from the chair. "Your father assured me he was a good person, and we will closely monitor you. So stop worrying about what could go wrong and answer the question based on your interaction with him. Did he make you feel loved or lost?"

That's a good question. I thought about our short time together. He approached me carefully and held me while I cried. He told me never to stop my wolf from reaching out. He also said he would not take another mate.

I liked his looks and what little I saw of his personality. He didn't get upset when I cried. I wish he were here so I could crawl into his lap again.

"I want him as my fated mate." I slowly said to the room at large and sat up against the headboard, still snuggled into his blanket as I looked at Leah. "Is it possible?"

"We are working it out. His Blood Alpha would have to agree to all the conditions, as he would no longer have control over Lachlan. He may disagree. No Alpha command would ever work on your mate, so he would only follow instructions based on loyalty. That's hard to conceive with a second in command."

"I don't think that will make a difference with this pack. Mark my words, Elf. He will agree." Doc said with a smirk as she also stood. "Time for food."

She ushered everyone out but Holly.

"Hey. You okay?" She said from her spot on the floor.

My wolf whined in response. It was unhappy with the whole situation. It wanted its mate now!

"I'm scared." I finally said. "Maybe I should just save everyone the trouble and reject him." I felt myself slipping into depression.

"You can't, and you know it. We can only reject them if they are born evil. He's a good guy." She said in a backhanded manner.

"I know. I'm frustrated."

"I bet. Do you think you can walk away from that blanket for a bit? We could shift and take a walk. It might help clear your mind." Something seemed off about her suggestion.

It took me a moment, but I realized it was because she hadn't moved. Most would have gotten up and angled toward the door, but she didn't move a muscle.

"Where is your mind right now, Holly?"

Nicolas asks me that question all the time. It felt funny asking someone else.

My best friend tilted her head, making her blonde curls move as her mind seemed to take in my question.

"So much has happened in the last week. My emotions can't seem to settle. Poor Gamma Two is getting a workout with all of us on top of her regular duties."

"We've had rough weeks before. Come on, tell me." I pushed as I crawled out of the blanket. I grabbed Charlie before sitting beside her on the floor.

"I thought you were going to die." A single tear slid down her cheek as I pulled her in for a hug.

I let my own tears go, and the two of us just sat there, holding each other for a while. When she pulled back, so did I.

"How about we grab some ice cream and go for a walk?" I asked.

"Comfort food? I'm all for that. Let's go." This time, she did get up, and so did I.

I will put my fate in the hands of my family and the Moon Goddess. I learned a long time ago that it is what it is.

I'll have to wait it out and hope for the best.

*******

Poor baby. Will she get her happy ending?

--April