Chapter 20 - Nicolas

Happy Labor Day, America! Extra chapter today! Enjoy!

Last night, I couldn't wait to cuddle with my mate and sleep, but the nightmares didn't care, and I woke up twice screaming.

Since I was drugged at the time, I couldn't react. But now, as I'm reliving what happened, I am responding, and Kayla is getting the backlash. I feel so bad about it, but she takes it in stride and holds me while I let it out. She's been here too.

Packing up the kid's rooms and toys took a bit of time. My bedroom and the living areas were pretty easy until we entered the kitchen.

"Do our rooms have a kitchen?" I had never thought to ask before.

"They do. It's about this size too. I can tell them to remove any cookware that's already there if you want to take everything. I'm sure one of the other pack families could use it." She answered.

I looked around; some were mine, while some were from the children's parents. Cooking is my happy place, and with the stress of a new home and learning to be in a pack, I will need that outlet.

"If you don't mind," I said. "I love to cook. It calms me. Having our old things in a new place will also help all of us with the transition. I've never been in a pack before."

"I wonder how the tribes are different from packs. Do you know about pack wolves?" she asked.

"We deal with pack wolf politics all the time. I should be fine with knowing when and how to speak to someone. The children will have to learn the difference in speaking to the different ranks, but they will catch on. My only real question is about schooling. Debra can attend the regular school, but Will must be home-schooled. We will know in a few months with Sydney." I said.

"Why does Will have to be home-schooled?"

"He's a prodigy, so it's assumed he's an Elemental." This is not a big deal to us, but I just now realized this could be a massive deal to the Sinclair pack. Oh, no.

"Oh, my Goddess!" Kayla exclaimed.

"It's not even a thing here as we have classrooms for them. I didn't think how the pack would react." My worry just increased tenfold. I can't let anything happen to Will. "He can homeschool via computer to the classroom he's in now, so nothing will change for him. Debra will get Mahani classes the same way, twice a month. We are used to our people joining packs. How do you think the pack will react?"

"I have no clue, and honestly, now that the shock is over, I'm concerned. Maybe we should talk to Alex and get his opinion? Oh, and maybe Blood Alpha Cooper, too." It amazes me how she can be almost panicking and think clearly.

"Let's sit here and do that before the worry grows too big," I suggested.

After sitting down, I took Kayla into my lap and linked our minds before contacting my Blood Alpha.

"Gamma One to Blood Alpha Cooper."

"Go ahead, Gamma One."

"Sir, Kayla is listening, and we have a question. How should we present Will to the Sinclair pack? Should we announce him as a prodigy and a possible Elemental or hide this information somehow? We want him to be safe."

"In the past, it would depend on the pack. Over time, we have found it's best to keep the Elemental part of it quiet. The Blood Alpha would be told, of course. The rest of the pack would find out when he comes of age, but he would come to live with the Mahani Blood Alpha at that time anyway. Revealing it sooner is not a good idea. We usually state they are geniuses as a child and then bring them through a portal after he shifts." He answered. "Blood Alpha Sinclair can call me with any questions or concerns."

"Thank you, sir. We will do that." Kayla said.

"Good luck. Let me know if you need anything," and he let the link fade out.

"Ready?" I asked Kayla, but I could already feel her reaching out.

"Alex, do you have a moment?" she asked.

"Yes. Why do I feel Nicolas? He marked you already?" Blood Alpha Sinclair said with a hint of malice.

"No, it's one of their powers. The mate bond only needs us to accept each other to mindlink. We have a question."

"Go ahead." His tone was better. While I like that he's protective of my mate, I don't want him mad at me.

"It seems that Will is a prodigy and will be home-schooled via computer to a Mahani classroom. It is assumed that he is an Elemental." I felt her pause to let him absorb that before continuing. "Blood Alpha Cooper suggests not revealing that assumption, just stating he's smart. When he comes of age, he will go live with the Mahani Blood Alpha anyway, so it doesn't matter who sees his first shift."

"I can see why it should be hidden. The other children and adults will treat him differently. It could also make him a target."

"That was our worry. Debra is fine to go to the pack school, but she will have Mahani classes also via computer when not in school. We don't know about Sydney yet."

"I agree with Sam. I prefer no one was told, Kayla. Not your parents or brothers, either. I mean, NO ONE. His safety is the most important thing."

"Okay, Alex. We agree. Thank you for being so understanding. We should be home in two days."

"Wonderful. See you then." The Blood Alpha let the link go as I held my mate, breathing in her scent.

"Oh, my beautiful lady, thank you for being so understanding with all of this. A ready-made family is hard to accept." I said as I kissed her cheek.

Kayla giggled as she turned her head to face me.

"For some people, but not me. You and the pups are a dream I refused to acknowledge as it was too painful."

I felt her brace herself before she continued.

"I love you, Nicolas."

My answer was easy.

"I love you too, Kayla."

*******

Thank you for reading all the way to Chapter 20! Please comment and vote.
--April