Chapter 55 - Holly

The past six weeks seem to have passed in a blur of emotion as our lives have changed dramatically. We all know it happens, but so many in a short time is mind-boggling.

First, Nicolas is kidnapped and raped, only to find his mate.

His mate has two brothers. One is Grace's mate, and the other is Noelle's.

I find my choice mate, and so does Doc.

Sadly, we all are leaving the community we have called home for many years. It's exciting and heart-wrenching at the same time as we all say our goodbyes. Don't get me wrong, we work here, so we aren't leaving forever.

It's just not the same. I can't run over to Grace's for movie night anymore or walk outside to see Doc sending a stream of water into someone's face. I already miss seeing Nicolas walking through the courtyard, heading toward the infirmary with his signature coffee in hand. And I know I won't be returning often, as I'll need someone to open an Alpha ring for me to do so.

My work is behind a computer. In most instances, they will see me over a screen. If they want to stand over my shoulder, they will come to me. My training will bring me here quarterly for a few days, but that's it.

I look around my little house. After being here for five years, it seems weird to see the walls bare and all the boxes.

"You okay?" My mate asks as he wraps his arms around me from behind.

"Just thinking."

I can feel him in my head, looking at each emotion carefully.

"I can reject the job offer, and we can stay here." He says for the fifth time.

"Nope. I'm just being nostalgic. I'm looking forward to starting our new life." I say as I turn in his arms. Our ceremony is tomorrow, and we leave in a week.

Our new home in no man's land is a four-bedroom, two-story colonial with a wrap-around porch. We are renting it for the first year, with the option to buy it at the end of the lease.

Dorothy will stay with us until she decides on her own place. Her old house was returned to the pack, and her things are loaded in the front of the truck we are loading my stuff into. Between us, we have everything we need and more.

She arrived two days ago and is staying in the small guest cottage initially assigned to Evan, as my little house has only one bedroom. Plus, Evan and I are fully mated, so that would be awkward, to say the least.

Our ceremony is tomorrow and Evan gets a few days before we leave to get used to his new powers. He's already mastered the basic Mahani powers of shifting quickly, telling lies from the truth, and the wicked smell of pain.

I glance over at my desk as a window pops up. It's showing movement where there shouldn't be any. I walk over to look at the alert, bringing Evan with me.

"What's that?"

"Blood Alpha Sands. Let me pull up a thermal image." After I touch a few keys, it appears. "Since they don't normally train at this time of night, I'd guess a fight of some sort. Let's see. I count nine wolves."

"Yeah. They aren't fighting, though. See how they are positioning themselves? That's warrior training. And it's done in both daylight and after dark."

I took a moment to log the activity.

*******

My eyes can't leave my handsome mate in his black suit. I feel spellbound.

The décor for our ceremony is beautiful, all gold with a deep jeweled purple that matches Evan's eyes. My gown combines those colors, and I took the time to make sure every curl of my blonde hair was just right.