Chapter 57 - Grace

I really dislike all eyes on me. I had never wanted to be the center of attention unless I needed help. Once my dad left, I hugged Lachlan and started to turn back to Kayla. We needed to go so they could have their meeting.

"Excuse me, Kayla?" She turned back to the table.

"Blood Alpha Montross. How may I assist you?" She was super polite and formal.

"Could you stop back before we leave? My next in line has a letter for you." While Kayla looked puzzled, she agreed.

I spent the rest of the day either in the kitchen helping out or playing with the children in the daycare. It was fun and kept me busy. I am still getting used to not having my mate all to myself. I wouldn't say I like it, but we all have a job to do. I was pacing outside the door when the meeting came to a close. I couldn't wait to see my mate!

Kayla approached and told me to sit still while she fixed my hair. I hadn't realized it was messed up from playing earlier. I thanked her as the doors were opened.

"There are refreshments on the back wall if anyone wants to eat before traveling home." Blood Alpha Sinclair said this with a tone that told me it was a standard line he has said many times. I was so glad I could not sense anything bad when I was in the meeting room earlier. These are all good people.

I ran past Kayla and jumped into Lachlan's arms. He must have sensed me coming because he was ready and caught me quickly. 

"How was your day, sweetheart?"

"It was fun, but I missed you." A couple of awes could be heard from the Lunas. I glanced around until I found Kayla with the next Blood Alpha Montross. Leah said her name was Diana. They were whispering, but I heard every word.

"Victoria came to visit you the next day, and you turned away from her and wouldn't speak. I believe she thinks you blamed her for what happened to you. Do you?" Diana asked with a tone meant to be polite, but I could tell she was ready to defend Victoria, whoever that was.

"No, not at all. Victoria was my friend. I never regretted getting those Alphas away from her. I was in shock. I didn't speak for days and turned away from everyone. I just needed to process what happened." Kayla assured her.

Diana took out a letter and handed it to Kayla as she spoke. "I put her phone number on the envelope if you wish to contact her further. I can't help but wonder if the attack is what prompted her to become a warrior. That is very rare for a Gamma."

Lachlan and I turned our heads simultaneously toward Blood Alpha Sinclair, who seemed overly stressed. His nose was moving, and he was taking deep breaths. It almost looked like... he was battling his wolf?

The people closest to him noticed it, too, and backed up a space. He was staring at Kayla.

I watched as she opened the letter and sat on one of the chairs to read it. Kayla quickly became agitated as she read and then reread the single-page letter. She waved it around as she spoke to Diana.

"I'll call her right now. You have my word this will be fixed. I can't believe she thought I blamed her because she was the one they were chasing when I lured them away!" She was mad and sad at the same time.

As the Blood Alpha slowly stalked her, I instinctively knew what would happen and dashed out from Lachlan, running over to them. I snatched the letter from Kayla and threw it on the table before grabbing my sister-in-law and pulling her away.

"What on earth...?" Kayla started to say before seeing her cousin close in on the letter and snatch it up, eyes glowing and growling. I spoke as I was still backing us slowly away.

"You didn't just save your friend that day, Kayla. You saved your Luna."

*******

While the Montross Blood Alpha was thrilled with this turn of events, I had a bad feeling. Lachlan could sense what I did, and we sat and made a plan. Since I couldn't tell where the danger would come from, our plans included everything.

My career as a Mahani Elemental taught me many things. While most cases are someone going after the fated mate of a Blood Alpha, the second most popular was to try and control her somehow, and in doing so, would control the Blood Alpha. Sinclair pack was powerful and secluded. It would be an excellent pack to have a stronghold with.

I sensed no malice from the Montross Blood Alpha, his Luna, or his Beta. Diana was thrilled and didn't seem a threat either. My dad assured me the Montross pack had no evil members when he was there, which wasn't long ago. So why am I feeling like this?

No matter. Plan for everything and have a backup plan set up. It's what we do.

The Mate Meet was scheduled for the following day at noon once Victoria had been contacted. She was happy to meet her mate, or so we were told. I sensed a white lie.

Nothing was said about who he was, only that he was a Sinclair. This meant she would be close enough to see her family and friends whenever possible. On the day of Nicolas and Kayla's mate meet, Evan and his warriors were here within about five minutes at a full run.

Holly was officially off duty as she was leaving in a few days, but once I talked to her, she set up all her computers and programs to watch over the Sinclair and Montross packs. She said she would immediately mind link if anything showed up.

Doc is on standby and let Duncan know she could be pulled anytime. Leah is community-bound for at least a year. She and Daniel announced they were trying to have pups right before Doc and I left. Mom and Dad are concerned and told me to keep them updated on what was happening as it happened.

I took a moment to say a little prayer. Please let my intuition be wrong. 

*******

This story is coming to a close. Thank you all for reading! --April