Chapter 48 - Doc

Yesterday was an interesting day.

Leah interrogated the brother before the ceremony last night, only to find out he wasn't who he said he was.

The Council reviewed our reports while we were at the ceremony and sentenced them all to death. My father vetoed my offer to kill them myself. It sucks that it's not allowed because I was on the recovery team.

Mom volunteered to tell Aubrey what happened, leaving me nothing to do. Grace will fly herself and Lachlan back later today, using the helicopter I used to rescue and transport Aubrey since I had left it at the Sinclair pack. All Mahani are trained to use a car, big rig, boat, and helicopter.

I could use the time to finish the paper I've been working on. It's the formula I've been studying with Will. My mind drifted, though. While I usually love my work in Physics, my wolf is pushing me in a different direction.

She wants to meet the man behind the voice on the helpline, Blood Alpha Duncan Kincaid. His Beta was taking his mate to visit family, and the in-laws overheard the conversation while waiting for their train to arrive.

I pulled out my tablet and did a general internet search on the pack and the man himself. I was surprised at how little there was. Usually, humans love writing about the different packs. How odd. Once I finished, I pulled up our files on the Kincaid pack, which explained why the other search had so little. It's on our border with the Arctic tribe, but technically, it's still in our territory. There are no human towns around it. The closest one is a four-hour run.

Duncan was made Blood Alpha at the young age of 21 due to the death of his parents in a plane crash. He's 27 now. His picture shows a well-built man with short black hair, deeply tanned with dark brown eyes. His features are handsome, and my wolf nudged me to click on the following picture.

His wolf is enormous, as most Blood Alphas are, but his wolf's coat is entirely black, which is unusual unless you are an Elemental. Most wolves have different colors or at least ranges of color on their bellies, paws, and tails. He doesn't.

My wolf still pushes me to meet him, so I pulled up any correspondence we've had with this pack. There was little, just a few rejections, which was common with remote packs. In this day and age, she-wolves want the convenience of having a mall or stores nearby.

The only time I've ever left my little community was when I was working. It's one of the few limitations put on Elementals. I've never even been to a human store. As far as I'm concerned, there isn't a need either. That's what online shopping is for.

Before I could think more about it, I video-called him, ensuring the caller's identity read Alpha One, hoping he'd answer it. It didn't take long for his face to appear. I immediately gave a greeting.

"Good day to you, Blood Alpha Kincaid. I am Alpha One of the Cooper Mahani tribe."

"Good day to you." He said absent-mindedly. "Did you find her?" His beautiful eyes showed fury, and his direct question held a tone not commonly used when speaking to a Mahani. It almost demanded a positive answer. I was glad I could give him one.

"We did. She was critical, so she is in the infirmary of a pack we are friendly with. It was closer than our own."

"Did you get the man responsible for selling her?" His rage at the situation was unexpected, but my wolf was happy that his thoughts aligned with ours. Most pack wolves don't care about selling off a weak pack member. It was a standard practice in the old days. Hell, some still do it.

"I apprehended him and those who bought her, personally. The entire file was sent to the Council last night. They have all been sentenced to death." I watched his reaction closely. As a Blood Alpha, he knows what crimes constitute a death sentence. I wanted to see how fast he would figure it out.

Not even a second passed before he let out what could only be called a roar. Yup. He was quick.

I heard a commotion in the background as several people entered the room. Twin blonde young boys looked over Blood Alpha Kincaid's shoulders to see the phone.

"Out! I'm fine, and you don't need to hear this call." One let out a whine that I know well.

"It's okay, little one," I said with my 'talking to an upset Grace' voice. "I just gave him some news he didn't like. All is well, I promise." I added a smile and wink for the cutey.

They all turned to me in shock.

"You two, go play until dinner. Tabitha, you can stay." He directed. When the she-wolf sat down next to him, the resemblance to him was uncanny. No doubt they are related.

He turned back to me once the room was clear of little ears.

"Tab, this is Alpha One of the Mahani. They found the girl." His eyes never left mine, even though he wasn't talking to me.

"Is she alive?" The question was expected after the reaction that brought them to his side.

"She was critical and needed surgery. She is currently with an allied pack until she is well enough to be released. But honestly, I think they plan on keeping her. Their Delta's wolf has become protective." I couldn't help but smile at my memories of Keith with Aubrey.

"Why did you get so angry if she's doing well?"

"Because of what they did to her. The men who bought her were also sentenced to die." His anger warms my heart. With what we continually see daily, it feels good to know some wolves still care.

"I don't..." her voice trailed off as she figured it out. "Oh, my Goddess," she whispered as she lowered her head.

"Once my Beta returns, I'll come out for a visit. I'll need you to arrange for me to see her." He demanded. My wolf was thrilled at the thought of meeting him.

"Of course, Blood Alpha."

*******

Thank you all for the reads and comments, private and public! --April