008. planes

It's the middle of the night and Sam and Miranda are both awake while the TV is on and playing infomercials.

"We could so use that." Miranda whispers.

"We are not buying some stupid steak knife. Trust me, it's not gonna work as good as they advertise." Sam quietly laughs. "Besides, I don't see us cooking much steak in the future."

"Buy some meat and a skillet and we can be steak cooking people. Even in a motel." Miranda whispers.

"I think you're delirious." Sam whispers back.

"I know I'm delirious. That has nothing to do with this." Miranda says.

"I also think we should try getting some sleep." Sam says.

"No." Miranda argues.

"Randi--"

"No. No, I'm not-- mm-mm." She shakes her head.

"You need to sleep, baby." Sam frowns.

"I can sleep when I'm dead." Miranda says.

Sam sighs, dropping his head onto her shoulder while she watches the TV.

"You need sleep so you don't die on me." Sam mumbles, pressing soft kisses to her neck.

"You know, the longest recorded time somebody's gone without sleep is 264 hours. That's eleven days. That means that I have, like, nine more days to go." Miranda says.

"M, you can start to hallucinate after three or four days without sleep. That's not good." Sam says.

"So I'll sleep after those start." Miranda smiles.

"Miranda, I'm serious." Sam says.

"So am I." Miranda says. Sam gives her a look. "Please don't make me. I really don't want more nightmares yet."

Sam sadly sighs, kissing her temple. He wraps his arm around her abdomen, cuddling into her side, his head resting on her shoulder. Miranda softly rubs her thumb back and forth on his forearm while paying attention to the TV, Sam slowly falling asleep even though he tries to fight it.

+++

The next morning, Sam slowly walks into motel. He smiles a little when he sees Miranda still asleep in bed, the woman having fallen asleep around 4.

"Morning, sunshine." Sam quietly greets his brother.

"What time is it?" Dean groggily asks.

"Uh, it's about 5:45." Sam informs.

"In the morning?" Dean groans.

"Yep." Sam nods.

"Where does the day go?" He mutters. "Did you get any sleep last night?"

"Yeah, I grabbed a couple hours." Sam nods.

"Liar. Cause I was up at three and you two were watching George Foreman infomercials." Dean says.

"Hey, what can I say? It's riveting TV." Sam remarks.

"When was the last time you got a good night's sleep?" Dean asks.

"I don't know, a little while, I guess. It's not a big deal."

"Yeah, it is."

"Look, I appreciate your concern--"

"Oh, I'm not concerned about you. It's your job to keep my ass alive, so I need you sharp." Sam rolls his eyes. "Seriously, are you still having nightmares about Bella?"

"Yeah, sometimes." Sam admits. "But it's not just her. It's everything. I just forgot, you know? This job. Man, it gets to you." He gives Dean one of the three coffees.