074. slumming it

Sam and Miranda are staying in Oklahoma. Sam got a job at a bar, though Miranda has yet to find anything since they can't afford daycare and she can't bring a toddler to any job.

"Here you go." Sam puts Carly in the chair and scoots it up to the table. 

"Banana." Carly says, frowning at lack of fruit in her cheerios.

"I'm getting there." Sam says, grabbing a knife and a banana. He peels the banana and starts to cut the banana into slices, the pieces landing in the bowl.

Carly reaches out to touch the knife.

"Ah-ah-ah. No." Sam holds it out of her reach. "Only daddy touches the knife, remember?"

Carly blows a raspberry at him. Sam gives her a bitch face while hearing Miranda quietly laugh at the girl's reaction.

"Are you really glaring at your daughter right now?" Miranda questions.

"I'm not glaring." Sam says.

"You're giving her your classic bitch face." Miranda chuckles.

"I am not." Sam denies.

"Okay." Miranda rolls her eyes.

"Bitch!" Carly exclaims, the two parents freezing. "Bitch, bitch, bitch."

"Whoops." Miranda mumbles, letting out a sheepish laugh.

"Nice going." Sam remarks.

"Hey, we all gotta start swearing sometime." Miranda says.

"Not at one and a half." Sam retorts. Miranda shrugs and Sam rolls his eyes.

+++

It's nighttime and Carly is asleep on one of the beds. Sam is sitting at the table and on his laptop while Miranda is doing the dishes.

"Hey, Bobby." Miranda glances back at Sam who is on his phone. "How you doing?" He asks the man. He laughs after a moment. "Uh, Garber, Oklahoma. I found a town up the road showing some Revelation omens." Miranda looks back at him. "All right, listen to this. "And upon his rising, there shall be hail and fire mixed with blood."" He reads.

"Yeah. But we already got hailstorms and fire, so I'm guessing blood can't be too far behind." Sam says. "What?" He asks. "Dean didn't tell you?" He asks. "Yeah. So I just thought you might want to find out who's in the area and put a man on this."

Sam quietly sighs.

"I can't, Bobby. I'm sitting this one out." He tells him. "I gotta go. I'm so sorry." He hangs up.

"Why are you looking for omens?" Miranda questions.

"I-- I'm not looking. I-- they just popped up." Sam says.

""They just popped up."" Miranda mocks in a deep voice. "Sam."

"I'm serious. They were on the news at the bar earlier, I just... thought I'd let somebody know." Sam says.

"Okay." Miranda mumbles. "Why is your hair so pushed back?"

"Because I need it behind my ears in order to work in the bar. You know, around food and drinks." Sam says.

"Okay, well, as you can see, we're not in a bar, so..." Miranda ruffles his hair until it's in messy and falling into his face. "There." She smiles, patting his cheek.

She walks off, Sam quietly chuckling.

+++

Miranda just got Carly to sleep and the door opens, Sam walking in. Miranda shushes him, Sam quietly shutting and locking the door.

"How long she been asleep?" Sam asks.

"Like, 15 minutes." Miranda whispers. "Where have you been? You're usually back a little earlier."

"I, uh... I went out to eat." Sam says.

"Alone?" Miranda's eyes squint.

"Uh..." Sam looks everywhere but her.

"You were with a girl." She laughs in realization.

"No." Sam scoffs. "No, I-- no."

"You were so with a girl. Is that chick you work with?" Miranda asks. "You know, the blonde."

"Maybe." Sam mumbles.

"You got a type. Well, kind of, Ruby was brunette when you got her." Miranda says.

"Miranda." Sam gives her a bitch face and she chuckles.

"Mm. She know you're slumming it in a motel with your baby mama?" She asks, smirking in amusement.

"No. She-- she doesn't really know anything, honestly." Sam says. 

"So secretive, Sammy." Miranda tsks.

"I-- I'm not--"

"Relax, dude. I'm messing with you." Miranda says. "Besides, if you wanna date, date. But you can't date if you're keeping, like, nineteen million secrets. Especially big secrets. You know, like... your entire identity."

"I'm not dating. Well, I-- I mean unless-- unless you're... you know, re-ready or-- or anything." Sam says.

"Take a chill pill, Coffee Boy. You're really fidgety." Miranda says.

"So is that-- that a no?" Sam asks.

"You're a dweeb." She chuckles. "When I'm ready, you'll know." Miranda says.

"Right." Sam mumbles.

+++

Sam pulls up to the Impala, him and Miranda getting out.

"Sam." Dean greets. "Miranda."

"Jackass." Miranda replies.

Dean pulls out Ruby's knife and holds it out to Sam.

"If you're serious and you want back in... you should hang on to this. I'm sure you're rusty." Dean says. Sam takes the knife. Miranda quietly sighs. "Look, man, I'm sorry. I don't know. I'm... whatever I need to be. But I was, uh... wrong."

"What made you change your mind?" Sam asks.

"Long story." Dean says. "The point is... maybe we are each other's Achilles heel. Maybe they'll find a way to use us against each other, I don't know. I just know we're all we've got. More than that. We keep each other human."

Miranda rolls her eyes.

"Thank you. Really. Thank you. I won't let you down." Sam tells him.

"Oh, I know it." Dean says. "I mean, you are the second best hunter on the planet." Miranda rolls her eyes once again.

"So, what do we do now?" Sam asks.

"We make our own future." Dean says.

"Guess we have no choice." Sam says.

"Fuck me." Miranda mumbles to herself.