058. runaway

Sam puts his jacket on, grabbing the half empty bottle of whiskey. He looks over at the couch, Miranda asleep with Carly asleep and lying on her chest. He lets out a small sigh before quietly leaving.

~ ~ ~

Miranda woke up the next morning, trying to call Sam but he wouldn't answer.

"Where the fuck is he?" Miranda questions.

"I don't know." Bobby says.

"Well, he-- he wouldn't just leave, would he?" Miranda questions. "I don't-- I-I mean, he-- I know he's hurting, but he-- he has me and then there's Carly. He..." Miranda heavily sighs. "He wouldn't leave Carly." She quietly says, watching her four month old who is babbling to herself as she stares at the Disney movie playing on the TV.

Miranda tries to call Sam again, but still doesn't get an answer.

"Maybe he just needs time to cool off." Bobby says.

"Cool off? He's becoming an alcoholic ever since Dean died. I don't want him cooling off alone." Miranda says, trying not to yell so she doesn't scare her daughter.

"I'm sure he'll be back later." Bobby tries to assure, not letting her know that he's also a little worried.

"Yeah, he better be." Miranda mutters.

+++

It took three weeks for Miranda to find Sam and she approaches the beat down house that has the Impala parked out front. She storms up to the door and pounds on it until it answers.

"Randi?" Sam frowns in confusion.

"What the fuck?" Miranda shoves him, Sam stumbling back. "Do you know how worried sick I've been? Do you know how much sleep I haven't gotten while trying to think of where you could be, hoping you'd be alive? I hope you lost your phone because if you didn't and you've been ignoring every single call and text, I am going to fucking kill you!"

"Randi, just-- let me explain." Sam says.

"Explain what, Sam? How you ran away in the middle of night. No goodbye for me or your daughter. Just had me wake up and think the worst and continue to think you were possibly dead for the past three weeks." Miranda says.

"Look, I'm sorry--"

"Sorry is getting you nowhere this time, Samuel." Miranda looks around the house, finding the devil's trap on the floor and the chair with some rope in it.

"What the hell are you doing?" Miranda asks. "Please don't tell me this is about trying to get Dean back."

"Somewhat." Sam mutters. Miranda scoffs out disbelief. "But it's also about killing Lilith. Getting her off the board."

"Mm-hmm. And what made you so bloodthirsty? Dean dying?"

"Yes!"

"So you ditch me and your daughter for your dead brother? Are you fucking joking me right now?!"

"It's hard to explain."

"It's really not." Miranda argues. "It seems pretty fucking simple."

"Hey." They both look over, Miranda watching the brunette woman walk into the room.

Miranda stares at the woman for a few moments before looking up at Sam. She feels her chest start to ache and she quietly scoffs.

"Oh, my God." She mutters, her eyes stinging.

Sam looks at her, realizing what she's thinking.

"Wait. No." Sam shakes his head. "Randi--" He reaches for her arm as she storms out, but she shoves him away. "Randi, wait!" He chases her outside. "Randi, wait."

"Wait for what?" Miranda turns back to him, Sam frowning at the tears in her eyes. "What? You were so heartbroken, you ditched your family for some random ass chick?"

"She's not random." Sam says.

"Then who is she?" Miranda asks.

"I can't-- she's nobody." Sam says, Miranda rolling her eyes.

"You-- I can't believe you. Have you lost all your brain cells? I mean, what are you-- are you cheating on me?"

"No!" Sam exclaims. "No. I'm not-- I would never do that." He tells her.

"Then who is she and what is she doing here?" Miranda questions.

"She... she's helping me." Sam says.

"Helping you with what?" Miranda asks.

"Finding Lilith." Sam says.

"So she's a demon?"

"Yes."

"She not... she's not Ruby, is she?" Miranda asks. Sam doesn't say anything, looking down. "Oh, my God." She lets out a small laugh of disbelief. "Oh, my God. What-- what the fuck, Sam?"

"She's helping me find Lilith and kill her. And I-I promise when this is all over, we can--"

"No. No, "we" can't do anything." Miranda says. "As far as I'm concerned, there is no "we.""

"Wha-- no. Randi." Sam's eyes sting with tears.

"You ditched me in the middle of the night, Sam! And you just expect me to forgive you immediately? Especially when you've been slumming it with Ruby. She's a lying bitch!"

"She's helping!"

"I don't care! You not only left me, you left your daughter -- your baby!"

"I'm making the world safer for her."

"How about you just stick around and protect her?! What sane person ditches his family in the middle of the night?"

"Look, I'm gonna kill Lilith and-- and figure Dean out and--"

"Dean doesn't need you, Sam!" Miranda screams. "He is dead! He's gone! I know it sucks, but he does not fucking need you anymore! We do! Carly needs a father and I need you."

"Look, you don't get it!" Sam snaps.

"I don't get it?" Miranda scoffs. "Who had to watch her sister burn on the fucking ceiling? Huh? Cause it wasn't you. I lost my older sibling, too, but you never saw me trying to bring her back. They're both dead. Accept it."

"I can't." Sam says

"Look, if you just come back with me--"

"No." Sam harshly states. "No, I-- I have to do this."

Miranda bites the inside of her cheek, nodding a little.

"Fine. But if you're doing this, we're over." Miranda states, ignoring the crack of her heart. Sam's face falls at her words. "We're done. I'm not sticking with your obsessive ass. That is not healthy. And no me, no Carly."

Sam feels his heart break.

"So go and have fun. Fuck Ruby, kill Lilith, drink ten bottles a day, get yourself killed, whatever. We're done."

"Randi--" Sam's cut off as she slams the car door shut. He tearfully watches her speed off. Sam sniffles, letting some of the tears run down his face.

Miranda tries her best not to cry as she drives, knowing it's dangerous. She chokes on a sob and hits the steering wheel a few times. Miranda grips the steering wheel with both hands, breaking down.

She hits her head against the headrest and sniffles, quietly sobbing.