028. future talks

It's been one week since John died, neither of the brothers doing very well. Miranda does whatever she can to comfort Sam. It's late at night and the two are currently lying on the couch, Miranda squished between him and the back of the couch, her head on his chest.

"Is it bad?" Sam asks.

"What?" Miranda asks, trying not to fall asleep.

"Grieving him." Sam says. "I mean, it-- my whole childhood, I-- we just had a terrible relationship, really. And-- and then after what he did to you, I hate him. But I-- I can't just--"

"Hey." Miranda lifts her head to look at him. "You can still grieve toxic people. Terrible, psychotic toxic people. He was your dad... and there might be a couple of good times lost in all the pain."

"Yeah, but is it healthy to grieve toxic people?" Sam asks.

"Well... if you just kicked him out of your life, you'd probably still grieve him in a way. Even if he was still alive. And even after what he did to me, it-- it's a complicated and hard time, baby. But you don't have to feel like shit for having feelings even if they confuse you."

Sam sighs and tightens his grip around her.

+++

Sam found a voicemail from a woman on one of John's phones about her being able to help with something. They pull up to Roadhouse Saloon, all getting out of the van.

"This is humiliating. I feel like a fucking soccer mom." Dean complains.

"It's the only car Bobby had running." Sam says. "Hello? Anybody here?" Sam calls as they look around the deserted parking lot.

"Hey. You bring the, uh..." Dean asks.

"Of course." Sam tosses him the object. They go inside, the place silent aside from some flies buzzing. They find a man passed out a pool table.

"Hey, buddy?" Sam calls. "I'm guessing that isn't Ellen."

"Yeah." Dean mumbles.

Sam and Miranda go into the back room, looking around. They turn and are greeted by a woman with a gun pointed at them.

"Sam! Need some help in here." They hear Dean call out.

"Sorry, Dean, we can't right now. We're, uh... little tied up." Sam says. The two walk out of the back slowly with their hands on their heads, the woman behind them. Dean is standing and a young blonde has a rifle pointed at him.

"Sam? Dean? Winchester?" The woman behind the couple questions.

"Yeah." The brothers answer.

"Son of a bitch." The woman smiles.

"Mom, you know these guys?" The young blonde asks.

"Yeah, I think these are John Winchester's kids." Ellen says, lowering her gun. "Hey, I'm Ellen. This is my daughter, Jo." Jo lowers the rifle.

"Hey." Jo says.

"You're not gonna hit me again, are you?" Dean asks.

"This-- this is my girlfriend, Miranda." Sam informs. Miranda slightly waves.

~ ~ ~

"Here you go." Ellen gives Dean a towel full of ice.

"Thanks. You called our dad, said you could help. Help with what?" Dean asks.

"Well, the demon, of course. I heard he was closing in on it." Ellen says.

"What, was there an article in the Demon Hunters Quarterly that I missed? I mean, who-- who are you? How do you know about all this?" Dean asks.