015. hitchhiking

They're at the motel and all asleep. Miranda managed to fall asleep, her head resting on Sam's chest and he has a hand in her hair.

Sam wakes up when he hears a phone ring. He looks over, seeing it's Dean's.

"Dean." Sam calls, the said man not waking up. Sam sighs and carefully reaches over, grabbing the phone and answering it. "Hello?"

"Sam, is that you?" Sam sits up, Miranda falling onto the bed making her jolt awake.

"Dude." She hisses.

"Dad?" Sam asks. "Are you hurt?"

"I'm fine." John assures.

"We've been looking for you everywhere. We didn't know where you were, if you were okay." Sam says.

"Sammy, I'm all right. What about you and Dean?"

"We're fine. Dad, where are you?"

"Sorry, kiddo, I can't tell you that."

"What? Why not?"

"Is that dad?" Dean asks, sitting up.

"Look, I know this is hard for you to understand. You're just gonna have to trust me on this." John says.

"You're after it, aren't you? The thing that killed mom." Sam says.

"Yeah. It's a demon, Sam."

"A demon? You know for sure?"

"A demon? What's he saying?" Dean asks.

"I do. Listen, Sammy, I, uh... I know about what happened to your friend. I'm so sorry." John says.

"You know where it is?" Sam asks.

"Yeah, I think I'm finally closing in on it."

"Let us help."

"You can't. You can't be any part of it."

"Why not?"

"Give me the phone." Dean holds his hand out.

"Listen, Sammy, that's why I'm calling. You and your brother, you gotta stop looking for me. Alright, now, I need you to write these names down."

"Names? What names, dad-- talk to me, tell me what's going on."

"Look, we don't have time for this. This is bigger than you think, they're everywhere. Even us talking right now, it's not safe."

"No. Alright? No way."

"Give me the phone." Dean orders.

"I have given you an order. Now, you stop following me, and you do your job. You understand me? Now, take down these names." John tells him. Dean snatches the phone from Sam.

"Dad, it's me. Where are you?" Dean asks. "Yes, sir." He looks around. "Uh, yeah, I got a pen. What are their names?" He asks, grabbing a pen and the motel's notepad.

+++

"All right, so the names dad gave us, they're all couples?" Sam asks.

"Three different couples. All went missing." Dean says.

"And they're all from different towns? Different states?" Sam asks.

"That's right. You got Washington, New York, Colorado. Each couple took a road trip cross-country. None of them arrived at their destination, and none of them were ever heard from again." Dean says.

"Well, it's a big country, Dean. They could've disappeared anywhere." Sam says.

"Yeah, could've. But each one's route took 'em to the same part of Indiana. Always on the second week of April. One year after another after another." Dean says.