044. seven sins

Miranda is sitting next to Sam in the Impala. He's reading a giant book, trying to find a way to save Dean. Miranda is leaning against him, her head resting on his shoulder as she tries to fall asleep.

Sam's phone rings and he answers it

"Hello." He puts it on speaker.

"Hey, Sam." Bobby greets.

"Hey, Bobby."

"What ya doing?"

"Oh, same old, same old."

"You buried in that book again?" He asks. "Sam, you want to break Dean free of that demon deal, you ain't gonna find the answer in no book."

"Then where, Bobby?" Sam asks.

"Kid, I wish I knew. So where's your brother?" Bobby asks.

"Polling the electorate." Sam says.

"What?" Bobby asks.

"Never mind."

"Well, you kids better pack it up. I think I finally found something."

Sam and Bobby hang up.

"You wouldn't happen to love me enough to... to, uh..."

"Nope. Get your ass out there." Miranda says, sitting up.

"Randi." He begs.

"Just keep your eyes shut and you won't see anything." Miranda says.

Sam huffs and reluctantly gets out of the car.

~ ~ ~

"Let me see your knife." Sam says as Dean drives.

"What for?" Dean asks.

"So I can gouge my eyes out." Sam says.

"It was a beautiful, natural act, Sam." Dean says.

"It's a part of you I never wanted to see, Dean." Sam says making Dean chuckle.

"Hey, I appreciate you giving me a little quality time with the Doublemint twins."

"Yeah, no problem."

"Really? Well, I got to say, I was expecting a weary sigh or an eye roll, something."

"No, not at all. You deserve to have a little fun."

"Well, I am in violent agreement with you there. What's Bobby got?"

"Not much. A crop failure and a cicada swarm outside of Lincoln, Nebraska. Uh, could be demonic omens--"

"Or could just be a bad crop and a bug problem."

"Yeah, but it's our only lead."

"Any freaky deaths?"

"Nothing Bobby could find. Not yet, anyway."

"It's weird, man. I mean, the night the devil's gate opened, all these weirdo storm clouds were sighted over how many cities?"

"17."

"17. You'd think it would be Apocalypse Now, but it's been five days and bubkis. What are the demons waiting for?"

"Beats me."

"It's driving me crazy. I tell you, if it's gonna be war, I wish it would just start already."

"I don't know, man. Be careful what you wish for." Sam says.

+++

They pull up to a farmhouse where Bobby is waiting for them. They get out of the Impala, hearing cicadas.