061. second chance

Dean had woken Miranda up in the middle of the night, dragging her somewhere. Dean parks and Miranda grabs her sleeping daughter, the two looking into the building.

They watch Sam exorcise a demon without even touching it and Miranda spots Ruby standing by.

"What the..." She mutters.

The two walk into the building as Sam and Ruby deal with the guy who's mostly unconscious.

"So... anything you wanna tell me, Sam?" Dean asks.

"Dean, hold on, okay?" Sam says.

"You gonna say, "let me explain?" You're gonna explain this? How about this? Why don't you start with who she is, and what the hell is she doing here?" Dean asks, pointing to the woman.

"It's good to see you again, Dean." She says.

"Ruby?" Dean asks and she smiles a little. "Is that Ruby?" He asks Sam who doesn't answer.

Dean grabs Ruby and shoves her against the wall, holding the demon knife, ready to stab her before Sam stops him.

"Don't!" Sam yells, the brothers struggling for the knife. Miranda stays back, keeping a hand over Carly's ear. Sam gets the knife as Dean throws him against the wall. Ruby grabs Dean and pins him against the wall.

"Ruby! Stop it!" Sam shouts. Ruby glares at Dean before backing down a few moments later.

"Well, aren't you an obedient little bitch?" Dean comments. Ruby doesn't do anything, fighting every muscle in her body to not attack him.

"Ruby." Sam calls and she looks over at him after a few moments. "Ruby, he's hurt." Sam motions to the guy that he exorcised. "Go."

Ruby walks over and puts the man's arm over her shoulder, hauling him to his feet.

"Where the hell do you think you're going?" Dean asks.

"The ER. Unless one of you want to go another round first." Ruby comments. Dean doesn't say anything and Ruby drags the guy out

"Dean." Sam says and Dean walks out. "Dean!" Sam calls. He sighs, looking at Miranda.

"She was helping, huh?" Miranda remarks.

"Please, just let me explain." Sam begs.

"No. No, you lost the right to beg me for anything months ago." Miranda says. "She is bad news and this is gonna bite all of us in the ass one day, Sam."

Miranda walks out.

+++

Dean's not at the motel, but the ex-couple and their child are. Carly is sitting on the floor by the table and playing with her toys, often babbling to herself. Sam is sitting at the table and often looks down at Carly, watching her be so content with the toys relaxing him.

Miranda is sitting on one of the beds and trying to organize the bag of Carly's stuff so it all fits.

Dean walks in, not sparing a glance to Sam as he walks in, grabbing his bag and starting to pack. Sam gets up, walking over to Dean.

"Dean, what are you doing?" Sam asks. Dean doesn't answer. "What, are you-- are you leaving?"

"You don't need me. You and Ruby go fight demons." Dean says, going for the door, but Sam stands in the way. Dean walks around his brother.

"Hold on. Dean, come on, man." Sam says. Dean turns and punches Sam.

"Dean!" Miranda yells out, glancing between the two in shock. Carly looks up at the noise, frowning in confusion at what she missed.