THE LURKING EVIL

"Be careful who's lurking beside you.

Evil, conniving leeches around you.

Masquerading as your family and friends."

-Julia Wise -

******

It has been a hundred years since then. For a long time now the immortal god has been living totally alone and isolated from the rest of the world since he gifted his trusted and loyal creatures to his beloved humans. Though the humans hurt him, his merciful and loving heart cannot stay angry for too long. Humans look too pitiful to be left alone in the midst of a chaotic situation into which they brought themselves.

******

Until such time, humans learn how to be selfish and greedy for power. They learn to deceive each other, hurt one another, and kill to achieve such a great feat of worldly power.

This time, another force is born in the midst of his creation.

This time, without his consent, a strong great force was slowly gaining control of his creation.

This time, it is not his work.

This time, humans made their own force too hard to control.

This time, without the humans' consent, this force is like a beacon of greatness and power, nevertheless humans have no authority over this force.

This time, the immortal god has no authority over this new force that slowly takes away the life and spirit of his creations.

This time, resentful energy is born with its own spirit and soul – so dark and powerful, has been born willingly and consentingly in each and every one of the humans the immortal god loved so much.

YES, THIS TIME HE JUST NOT FELT ALONE AND LONELY BUT ALSO PAINFULLY USELESS. FOR THE FIRST TIME IN HIS IMMORTALITY, HE FELT INCREDIBLE FEAR FOR WHAT IS TO COME.

With his last breath, he releases what is left of his light to diminish the dark force within him and the world but his sacrifice is for naught.

"So, I close my eyes to old ends.

And open my heart to new beginnings. Until we meet again."

******

Two men walking together in an upright and elegant manner are now standing at the entrance of the Tea House that hold memories of both of them, then and now. The people in the area had a full idea of who the two were, so they continued their daily work as if nothing happened.

The owner of the Tea House knew them by heart and his people already knew their taste and space. The table where they usually sit is already prepared and without much talking on their part, they were served with the dishes and refreshments of their liking.

****

The Chief Cultivator asked nonchalantly. "About... Hanguang-Jun's jade token, has it been... returned?"

Gasps and whispers can be heard around the great hall. Zewu-Jun's stoic face cannot be read at all. The sects were shrouded with the coldness the other cultivators could hardly breathe.

"What the heck is wrong with the Chief Cultivator? He knows too well not to mention the second young master Lan's name or any name related to him carelessly without resulting in Zewu-Jun's indifference in return. Just because he is Zewu-Jun's sworn brother and the Chief Cultivator, he thinks highly of himself?"

"Tsk...Bastard!" Sect Leader Jiang WanYin hissed.

Chief Cultivator Jin GuangYao heard what Sect Leader Jiang said and he turned his head abruptly and stared vehemently at the Sect Leader for the derogatory remark. However, he swiftly returned his attention to his Er-Ge with guileless eyes and a susceptible smile as if a minute ago he did not have thoughts about murdering that despicable Jiang WanYin.

In Jin GuangYao's mind, to exculpate himself from the humiliation of being suspected in regards to the special pass token, he needs to exhort dichotomy and dissidence as well as make disputation and dubiety remarks in order to disconcert the gathered cultivators present in the hall, "striking while the iron is still hot".

Sect Leader Lan XiChen looked at his sworn brother like he was a different person. "Is this what Da-Ge and WanYin keep telling me to be careful around A-Yao? Is this the reason why Da-Ge and Wanyin keep dissuading me from my total faith in A-Yao? How easy for him to cause dissonance in everyone with just an innocent inquiry? Am I that gullible to his true nature because I dote on him as he was my savior then?"

In equanimity, Sect Leader Lan made a dictum to disclaim whatever his sworn brother intended with his statement, "Such statements desecrate my brother's reputation as well as to disparage the Lan Sect as a whole. To make it clear, I have ever had my brother WangJi's token in the last 15 years as it reminds me of my lost brother. And that will be the last disquisition on the matter!" Sect Leader Lan XiChen announced in a sullen but hardened manner.

The hall distinctly become quiet and a solemn panicked Chief Cultivator responded honorably, "It is not my intention to open the wounds Er-Ge however it is a necessity for everyone to know the whereabouts of Hanguang-Jun's jade token as to eliminate hearsays and to ensure that we left no stones unturned in solving your Sect's current dilemma. Now that it is cleared and all, I ask Er-Ge's forgiveness for my unintended offhanded remark."

"There will be no second-time Chief Cultivator. My brother Lan Wangji, Hanguang-Jun, is where I draw the line of pleasantness."

Sect Leader Lan XiChen wished everyone a pleasant and safe journey toward their respective clans and sects.

******

At the Gusu Lan's gate, Lan XiChen and Elder Lan QiRen personally bade goodbye to the Chief Cultivator and his retinue as a required protocol of the hosting sect although, in Lan QiRen's mind, it is much better to stay far away from this fake modesty but he knows himself that he cannot leave his nephew alone from this man and so, he will endure.

Unknown to everyone, someone has been watching nearby. A resolute glint in his eyes is known not to anyone but him. It cannot be helped that he exudes a helpless and innocent exterior. At the moment, this person is busying himself arguing with his older brother however his eyes show a different motive. His crafty mind is currently setting out plans, elaborate and lengthy schemes, which will shock and overturn the cultivation world from its high pedestal and eventually start the beginning of the downfall of this two-faced golden snake of a bastard.

For years, he acts shamelessly and in a childlike manner.

For years, he was named and known as a Head Shaker.

For years, he slowly and surely felt the disappointments of his older brother with his foolhardy manners.

For 15 years now, he schemes and will strive to continue until that bastard pays the price.

UNTIL THEN, HE WILL NEVER FORGET THE MAIN REASON AS TO WHY HE WAS DOING THIS ACT. HE WILL NEVER STRAY TO THE GOALS HE MADE BY HIMSELF.

DISCIPLINE...

PATIENCE...

PERFECTION...

"I am NIE HUAISANG and I AM WATCHING YOU!"