Chapter 6

"Ta da!!! Guess what this is??"

Zoro opened an eye to see what she was waving in front of his cell.

She stopped waving the sheet of paper in her hand and then grinned down at him, once she knew she had gotten his attention.

"It's your execution notice~"

An uninterested grunt.

"When is it?"

"A week from now."

She fell on her butt and sat in front of his cell much to his displeasure.

He waited for her to start with the usual blabbering but oddly, she remained silent for once.

"Aren't you going to escape?"  Her eyes were on the floor. "Every one who comes here tries to escape at least once, but you've never once tried to.

Is it because you've given up?

Have you accepted this as your fate, Pirate Hunter, Roronoa Zoro?"

"No need to be so dramatic," Zoro broke her monologue. "And don't call me that," he added in an undertone.

"I'm just going to stick around long enough to make them believe I've given up and then escape right under their noses."

"And you have a plan?"

"Even if I did, why would I tell you, Marine?"

"Fair enough," she stood up to leave, or maybe do a jig. He wouldn't be surprised if she suddenly broke out in a chorus of Bink's sake. Except, that was a song sung by pirates, not marines.

"Why didn't you become a pirate?"

The question fell out of his mouth and stopped whatever steps she was taking to move forward.

Not even a 'Why are you a marine?' or 'Do you love the sea?' or maybe even a 'Did you ever want to not be a Marine?'

Another mysterious smile broke out on her face.

She turned to him again and gave a dry chuckle.

"Am I that transparent?"

And without giving an answer, she walked out of that floor, a broken twig in hand and a thousand sighs filling up her ribs.

***

She stopped by his cell.

Unlocking it, she let him out permitting him to join the line the other prisoners were making.

"The news of your execution is out on the papers," she started. "How do you think your crew will react to it?"

A smirk involuntarily fit onto his face.

"Those fools might try to break me out."

He missed the smile that formed on her face, threatening to reach its way up to her eyes and make envy fall out from them.

He also missed it when she softly whispered,

"..must be nice."