Chapter 24

"This is kinda awkward," she mumbled. "What should I call you? Captain? Monkey? Pfft- That'd be fun."

Luffy had a playful pout on his face. "Everyone calls me by my name. You can too."

"Then... Luffy-chan?" She snickered.

"No!! That's too girly." He turned to her, indignant.

She put her hands out. "Kidding kidding.."

They had reached the ship.

She felt her stomach churn. Luffy could say all he wanted about being the Captain and doing what he wants, but how would his crewmates react? They wouldn't want a random stranger joining them, would they?

He hopped onto the ship and she tailed behind him, hiding behind his back though he was shorter of the two.

Most of the crew were on deck.

"Guys," he called them around.

"AH! IT'S YOU!!" Usopp had sighted her.

She wanted to melt away into a puddle. "Heh heh, yes... It's me."

"Luffy, what is she doing here?" Usopp looked perplexed.

Luffy continued, "This is our new nakama,..." then he stopped and turned to her.

"What was your name again?"

She looked at her "Captain" in disbelief, resisting the urge to shout at him. But Nami beat her to it.

"You! You invited someone to join the crew without even knowing what's their name!?"

She sneaked a glance at the others. They seemed used to this. Did he do this everytime?

Luffy carelessly shrugged and avoided Nami's piercing gaze. "It's not that important, is it?"

"It IS!" Finding herself shouting simultaneously with Nami, she gave the latter an apologetic smile.

Sighing, she stepped out anxiously. "It's better if I do this myself."

She inhaled deeply and faced them properly.

"My name is Y/N L/N. I'm the niece of Admiral Borsalino. I... I used to be in the Marines because I felt I had to give back to my uncle who had taken care of me since I was a child." She paused. "But then, things just got too stifling and I needed an escape. So, I quit. I left. I ran away..."

Her eyes had returned to her feet but a small smile was on her lips.

"Luffy-san, he invited me to join his crew 2 years ago. At that time, I was too afraid to say yes, so I refused him rather rudely. But he's found me again, and I don't think I have the heart to say no this time."

This time a full grin replaced her little smile. "I'm grateful, that he's invited me to join his 'awesome' crew."

Then she bowed her head and said with full sincerity, "I'll be in your care!"

She slowly raised her head, half afraid she'd meet disappointed or disgusted gazes. But the view in front of her, though far from being immediately approving, wasn't harsh, and she felt her shoulders relax.

A stretched arm fell on her. "See? I told you they wouldn't mind." (They do.) The captain grinned at her.

"Luffy, she won't turn us to the government, will she?" An innocent voice spoke out from among them.

Her eyes immediately found the source- the reindeer.

Without skipping a heartbeat, her mouth involuntarily spoke. "Cute."

Chopper's eyes slowly widened. Then he began to sway from side to side. "Eeehhh~"

She crouched down to his level and brought forward a trembling hand. "Can I- can I pet you?"

"Stupid! Just because you call me cute doesn't mean I'll let you pet me." Despite his words, Chopper was already leaning towards her touch.

"He's adorable, isn't he?" A voice spoke above them.

She immediately stood up. "Nico Robin! I was in the Marines but I swear, I've got nothing against you. I think you're amazing and-"

The older woman chuckled. "Don't worry. If the Captain trusts you, so do I."

He's really got an awesome crew.

"Oi. Why'd it get all quiet suddenly?" Sanji came out of the kitchen, his eye travelling over the crew.

"Ah, Sanji! You just missed the introduction of our newest crew-" Usopp began.

Target spotted.

Immediately, he flew over the stairs and was by her side, his hand grabbing hers.

"My lady, it is an honour to have your presence, as blinding as the sun, on this lowly ship."

Franky went "Excuse me?" next to them

Sanji ignored him. "Thankyou for joining us, mademoiselle. On that note, would you like to go on a date with me sometime?"

"Uh... Ha ha," she stood there awkward to the bone. "Thankyou. I, um, I'm flattered." Raising an awkward hand to the back of her neck she turned to the others. "Is he always like this?"

Nami grimaced. "You'll get used to it."

Sanji turned to Luffy with a sparkle in his eye and a thumbs up. "Luffy. Nice!" (Naisssuu :D)

Another voice spoke beside her, "Welcome on board, Y/N-san."

"Ah," she turned towards the voice, "You don't have to be so formal with- GAH! IT'S THE SKELETON!"

She immediately bowed in apology. "I apologise. That was very rude of me."

"Yohohoho. It's okay," Brook reassured her. "If I saw someone like me, I'm pretty sure my heart would jump out of my chest too." He paused. "Though I don't have a heart! Yohohoho!!"

She let out a nervous laugh. This was going well.

"Speaking of," Brook began again. "Y/N-san, will you let me the honour of knowing what is the colour of your pan-"

Nami punched him before he could complete his sentence. "Don't creep out the new member just yet," she whisper-yelled.

"Ahh but having a marine on board," Franky was starting a pose. "It's kinda SuuuPeeRrrrrr!"

"...so noisy. The hell is happening?"
The door creaking open above her caught her attention. But even more so, the moss head that popped out. She smiled as the blur of his silhouette from her recollections of him now took form in the man standing by the balcony.

He caught her gaze.

She grinned.

"Yo! Roronoa."

And while Luffy gave the others a sloppy explanation of how Zoro knew the newest member of the Strawhat Pirates [Sanji- ʘ_ʘ], Zoro felt his mouth tug a smirk.

"Yo."

____________

<<THE END....?>>

A/N: Whew! That brings us to a very unsatisfactory end of this book. (⁠ ⁠╹⁠▽⁠╹⁠ ⁠) Thank-you to EVERYONE for reading and making this possible. :')

Just kidding. I still have some more bonus chapters I'd like to write about the reader's past and history with Rayleigh (yes, I haven't forgotten) and about her first days adjusting to the ship and everything.

The lack of Zoro in these last chapters is killing me too. So yes, you've not seen the last of me just yet!!

But still, BIG BIG thanks to everyone for bringing me this far. #Sending out virtual handshakes because I don't do hugs.

Stay tuned I guess. I'll see you around..

Byyyyyeeeeessssss!!