Chapter 18

A/N: I fear, I'm making Borsalino too OOC.

She peered inside his office after knocking twice.

"Uncle Borsa?"

He looked up from his table.

"Ohh, I wasn't expecting you to come visit me."

She gave a sheepish grin. "Sorry, it was a spur of a moment thing. But...," she let herself in. "I brought your favourite - miso ramen!"

He lifted a lazy brow at her. "Do you want something from me? Your childhood habit of bribing me still hasn't faded huh."

"Nope! Just came to see you." She handed him the chopsticks.

"Ittadakimasu!"

.
.
.

"How's the new place?" He asked her, now sipping on the tea she made for them.

"It's nice. The Supervisor is a good man and the others are also very nice to me. Although, that part must be because they know you're my uncle," she grinned at him.

"If you don't like it there, you can always come under my division."

She nodded. "Yes, I know."

"Your parents are out on another trip, aren't they?" He lit a cigarette. "I don't understand how they get the energy to do that all year round."

She chuckled. "It must be liberating for them." Her voice went softer, "Going out there, seeing the world, travelling without a care, and exploring places they've never been to."

He directed his gaze towards her face, but her wistful eyes failed to notice this.

The ringing of his den den mushi broke her out of her trance.

He brought the black den den mushi on his wrist close to his face. "Hello?"

The ringing continued.

"Ah Uncle, you still struggle with that?" She held in a laugh. "That's not the one for making calls. The one on your table is ringing."

By the time he realised what she was talking about, the ringing had stopped.

He shrugged. "Whatever."

She checked her watch. "I have to get going," she informed him, rising from her seat as he did the same to walk her out.

Hesitating a little, she stepped forward and gave him an embrace which caught him off guard as well. She had stopped giving hugs when she became a teen. He returned the embrace nevertheless.

She seemed to whisper something but it got swallowed up by the fabric of his clothes.

"Hmm?"

She took a step back and then fixing her posture, she gave him a salute.

"Admiral!"

A smile involuntarily left his lips.

He remembered the first time she did that was when he had come to her home to announce of his promotion to admiral to his sister. She had been watching a lot of army movies lately and that was the first thing she had done when he told the family the news- a sloppy salute and a childish shout that seemed to say, "Admiral!"

"Do you want a ship to drop you off?"

She shook her head. "I'll be fine on my own."

And then bowing once more, she walked out and shut the door behind her.

"Now then, shall we leave this place?"