Chapter 17

"Can you watch over him? I forgot a document in my office," the supervisor turned to her.

They were in the midst of questioning a pirate caught in some kind of old scandal.

"Oh, I could get it for you-" she began.

He shook his head. "It's a confidential file only I can get my hands on. Just watch over him for a while. If he starts some shit, call the guards and restrain him."

"Yes Sir."

. . . .

"...sooo, how'd you get caught?" She walked closer to the table.

The prisoner glared at her.

She paused her movements. "Not much of a talker huh."

"Well," she began again. "Is it fun being a pirate?"

If it was possible, he glared even harder.

"Okay." She took a step back and muttered, "This went better the last time."

'The last time' with the green haired prisoner definitely went better than this. 

________________

"Wow, you look terrible," a colleague commented when she walked in.

"Thanks man," she threw him a weary smile and poured herself a mug of coffee.

"Seriously, you good? Those eye bags are getting heavier every day," he continued.

"Yep." A tired thumbs up. "All good."

She walked away before he could ask her about her awful bed head next.

Insomnia had become a regular visitor in her bedroom. She must have counted a thousand sheeps last night but sleep still remained an enemy.

Yawning her head off, she dragged herself to the Supervisor's office to see if he needed anything from her.

A prisoner was being dragged in by two soldiers. It must have been a night long pursuit.

She felt another yawn crawling up her throat and in an attempt to cover her mouth and balance everything she was holding, the fumbling led to her losing her footing and her coffee spilling over the prisoner.

"Ack!!"

She immediately dropped down by his side, hands searching her pockets for a handkerchief or anything she could find to help the man.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry I lost balance and-"

He swatted her hand away.

"Please, let me get you to the infirmary-" she persisted.

"Get away from me, you filthy Marine," he hissed at her.

"Hey!" the soldier by her side began.

She brought her hand out and stopped him. Standing up, she gave a quick bow to the prisoner, whispered another apology, and then turned to the soldier holding him back.

"Take him to the infirmary before you take him to his cell. Make sure he gets treated."

"Yes ma'am."

After they walked away, she picked up her stuff to continue her way to the supervisor's office.

Her footsteps seemed to get louder with each step she took. Maybe she drank too much coffee.

'"filthy Marine" huh...

Is that what I really am?'

_______________

She had come to a decision.

"Sir, could I take a day off tomorrow?"

The Supervisor raised his head from his desk.

"Sure, you look like you need it."

"Sir, I believe I- Oh, you agreed. Thankyou!" She bowed repeatedly in appreciation.

He chuckled. "You deserve it, you've been looking more tired lately."

She felt her shoulders relax. Her face thoroughly sincere, she bowed to him again.

"Thankyou Sir. For everything."

When she raised her head, she saw him wave her off. "Oh shush. I'm just being a good senpai. You can go retire for the night. I'll wrap things up."

"Thankyou Sir, I'll be leaving then," she turned to go .

"Oh, if you don't mind me asking, what are you doing tomorrow?"

She turned back and smiled at him.

"Just a visit to my Uncle."